Skip to content
Lower Back Pain Due to a Draft?
sgflatulus posted:
A number of years ago I slept in a bedroom with an overhead fan. During the winter months I left the fan on (Low) to keep air circulating in the room. I began to experience low back pain on arising each morning. This went on for quite a while and I thought it was due to an old mattress or physical activity. On a whim I turned off the fan at night and my lower back pain disappeared.

Recently I went through the same thing again (in a different house/bedroom), meaning I had an overhead fan running and again began experiencing low back pain on getting up in the morning.

I sleep under covers so I don't believe the draft being created blows directly on my back but who knows, I may toss the covers off during the night.

My wife is a nurse and is very skeptical about a causation between the overhead fan (which she likes to keep running) and my back pain. All I know is that when the fan gets turned off, my back pain goes away.

Has anyone else experienced this? Is there a medical explanation for it? Thanks.

aprilrose9 responded:
Dear sgflatulus,

This is a new one. I too am an RN and side with your wife on this issue. There may be a cause and effect with the fan/back pain issue, but I have never heard of this relationship to back pain.

If you have some minor back issues, this is a weak link in your anatomy/physiology and may be appearing as a result of another issue. My guess may be more respiratory related to quality of sleep, thus low quality of sleep leading to the minor back issue. Meaning: the fan is on, bothers your nose or throat during sleep, irritated nose and throat causes restless sleep (which you are unaware of), causing a decrease in REM sleep and your weak link (your back) bothers you in the morning.

This is NOT a medical opinion, just a WILD guess. Anyone else ever heard of this correlation?

sgflatulus replied to aprilrose9's response:
Thanks, April. My RN wife was very happy to be vindicated. As a matter of fact I am an asthmatic (controlled) and do have sleep problems. These seem to be exacerbated by a sinus condition I'm blessed with. I take Fluoxetine fairly regularly in order to get a good night's sleep. I'm going to keep the fan off at night and see if improvement continues. Your thoughtful (and insightful) reply is very much appreciated.

sgflatulus replied to sgflatulus's response:
Oops. I meant Fleurazepam, not Fluoexetine.

An_259323 responded:
I experience the same issues, relating to back pain (the back of my legs above the knees up to lower back part) after being exposed to drafts. Applying heat to the back seems to help, temporarily though, as do hot baths but the pain last around 3 days regardless...as long as I keep my behind covered and warm, I seem to be fine at all other times

Helpful Tips

Making the Most of Your Doctor Visit #2Expert
Here are the rest of the suggestions (had to break into to two parts due to the character limits) 5. Make sure that all records ... More
Was this Helpful?
27 of 41 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Spine Center