bj1208 posted:
Debs - wanted to see how u were doing since your surgery last wednesday -

let us know as soon as you can - prayers are and have been with you~~
~~ Click on my name or picture and read my story ~~

Take care ~~ God Bless ~~

~~ Joy ~~
FirstPrevious12NextLast

davedsel2 responded:
I'm also continuing to pray for you, Deb.

-Dave (new account davedsel2, formerly davedsel and davesel57)

debs_bears responded:
Thanks for asking and praying all of you I have to admit other than feeling like I was run over by a Mack Truck I am doing good. Instead of saying "grandma got run over by a reindeer" I can say this grandma got run over by a Mack Truck. All things considered I am doing good.

I am back home and recovering, thanks to everyone's prayers and positive thoughts for me the entire hospital stay went without any real complications.

I had both hernias fixed with a biological mesh all around my intestines right up to the under side of my stoma. Took just a little over 3 hrs.

Got sick in recovery (was treated with Zofran immediately) never got sick again. Was eating ice chips first day, second clear liquids, third day full liquids and the last two day full low reside diet.

Since I can not take strong narcotics I was only given IV Tylenol, IV IBP and Valium (not for me started hallucinating) had to be stopped. After 3 days of IV's I was put on oral meds which did not touch the pain so they gave me a new drug called NUCYNTA and within an hour my pain went from 7 to 5. I never slept until Sat. evening 5 hrs straight.

NUCYNTA will always be my choice of semi-strong narcotics as it does not cause constipation. I can't afford that right now.

I had a central line put in upon arrival (what a Blessing) last surgery I had I went through 7 IV's in my arms in 4 days before they gave me a PICC line. That hospital stay was 16 days.

I have only 4 small 2" incisions everywhere, had a JP Drain, and the central line. I now have the holes remaining that are still draining so I have to watch them. Change the dressings once a day or as needed.

I even got a new stoma - my old one that I got on Oct. 30th was only 3/4" round and below my tummy skin - it is typically supposed to be at least a half inch above the tummy skin - my new stoma is now looking like a mushroom just dark pink in color, it measures 1-1/2" tall, top part round at 2" and the stem is 1-1/2". It will shrink to a permanent size at about the 8th week. My ileostomy works better now than it ever did. I have to admit 3 major stomach surgeries in 6 months is not something I'd recommend to anyone. It really wears one out physically and mentally.

The kind of hernia I had doesn't always need to be fixed, but my doctor said the moment she went in she knew it HAD to be fixed before I got a full obstruction - as it was I was only having 2 small BM's a day now I am going without stopping a good thing for people wearing a bag.

Another good thing that happened is my stay was only 5 days, a first for me for the past 15 surgeries my least days spent in the hospital was 8 days and the most was 35. All in all it was a good successful surgery. Pain should lessen each day I go back to the doctor in 3 weeks for a check up.

Thanks again for your support, prayers and love I could feel it at the hospital. Debbie

bj1208 replied to debs_bears's response:
Hi Deb - All in all, I am glad you are home and recovering well.

Good thoughts and prayers where with you all the way.

Keep us posted how you are doing~~
~~ Click on my name or picture and read my story ~~

Take care ~~ God Bless ~~

~~ Joy ~~

debs_bears replied to bj1208's response:
Well I have to go back to WOCN (wound, ostomy care nurse) because my stoma is now bleeding and it is not suppose to do that. I'll chime in later with an update. How are you doing? Did you have your Xrays today? Debbie

aprilrose9 replied to debs_bears's response:
Hey Debs,

Sticking my nose in, but what does the nutritionist say about the problems with post op wound healing? Just wondered if the nutritionist has seen any current bloodwork.

Wish you could catch a break. So sorry to hear about continued problems.

debs_bears replied to aprilrose9's response:
Aprilrose you are never sticking your nose, you are always welcome to join in anytime.

I am not sure what you mean by the nutritionist?

Apparently our intestines are made of lots of blood vessels and 3 spots of mine are bleeding - they think because it is rubbing against my appliance. I am still in the swollen mode so until my stoma shrinks anything can happen. If next Friday these 3 spots on the stoma are bleeding my WOCN team will recommend cauterization to be done.

Also I have 6 granulomas around the base of the stoma which also are bleeding - they will treat they with Silver Nitrate next Friday if they are still bleeding.
May you have the best pain free day as possible My prayers are with you. ~~~Debbie~~~

davedsel2 replied to debs_bears's response:
Deb, as I keep saying I will continue to pray for you. You are so strong in the face of all your health problems. I admire you for that. But I know that when you are weak God is strong for you.
Please click on my username or avatar picture to read my story.

Blessings,

-Dave

debs_bears replied to davedsel2's response:
Dave how true. In my weakness He is my strength. Glad to see you back - are you okay?
May you have the best pain free day as possible My prayers are with you. ~~~Debbie~~~

davedsel2 replied to debs_bears's response:
Yes, we are doing OK, Deb.

Wonderful wife's awesome new WC attorney is working on a fair settlement which should happen next month.

She and our youngest son (age 22) both have bronchitis right now. So far our eldest and I have avoided it.

'Tis the season, but this too shall pass.
Please click on my username or avatar picture to read my story.

Blessings,

-Dave

Sorry Deb, Spoke incorrectly ONCE AGAIN! Funny, I have a chronic pain problem and my brain no longer functions correctly.

What I was wondering, do they have a registered dietician see you as part of the post op team? I thought if your bloodwork was reviewed by a dietician, they may have some dietary suggestions which may facilitate wound healing. It may not be a complete solution, but may help in your overall healing process.

After your extra info, the healing issues sound more mechanical and my suggestion is less applicable.

Sure wish things would turn in your favor. What a difficult Winter you have had...in my prayers.

Arpilrose I understand my brain doesn't work all the time either. I was playing cards and had to ask about ten time how to play and I ahave been playing for awhile now.

I go for blood work on Monday and see my PCP doc on Friday. As for healing foods I am taking in about 50grms of protein a day. I have to eat less sugar, fiber and eat gluten free foods, so protein it is - Greek yogurt - total soy protein drinks - egg beaters - and low fat cheese. Since the ileostomy protein is our friend for healing.

Since I have been using the Vaseline the bleeding has almost stopped on my stoma - I still am contending with the granulomas - they are now my real problem they won't heal while there is moisture - which is impossible to stop. So next week Friday I'm going to visit Freda for the Silver Nitrate treatment.

debs_bears replied to davedsel2's response:
Hey Dave I usually get bronchitis every year but I'm staying in as much as possible to avoid getting it.

Praying the settlement is a good one for you guys you really can use a break.

Dear Debs,

Hope you get some good results from the silver nitrate treatment.

From what you write, it does sound as though you are slowly healing. I hope things will start to get much better for you.

Dave is right. How would we ever get through things without prayer from friends and the strength we receive from Him.

Keeping you in my prayers.

Hey Aprilrose I was willing hoping not to have to go for the Silver Nitrate as it is painful, but my granulomas have gotten bigger instead of shrinking and falling off.

The weather here today is suppose to be in the - numbers again, not wanting to go anywhere but need to see my PCP in the AM an hour away then go to the stoma nurse another 1hr from there, then home. Not looking forward to tomorrow at all. I'll let you know how things go. Thanks for the prayers everyone it means a lot. Debbie

Helpful Tips

How I got rid of 2 1/2 years of sciatic pain
I had sciatic pain for over 2 years went to chiropractor twice a week for months, tried acupunture and ever nasd and pain pill out there. I ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 6 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Spine Center