Skip to content
never ending back pain
unhappybeoch posted:
Good morning everyone. Do to a number of medical problems, my back always hurts. pain meds stopped working now. And I have been taking oxycodone, Fentanyl 50mcg, and Diazepam. every day. But my body must be getting use to them now also. I have Degenerative disc disease, Fibromyalgia, and Arthritist in my spine. Right now even my hands are hurting. Illinois insurance don't even want to do any more MRI's or X-rays, because they know what the problems are. And seems like they don't care if there is any changes. The last few days, I don't even want to get out of bed, but I have to. I have a few animals, just fish and dogs, and I feed the birds outside. If I'm late or forget, they look in the window. And make noises to say "hey are you forgetting about us?". But these last few days been so bad with pain. I'm hoping it's just the weather changing, because the pain just is getting worst. Is any one else having this problem with the pain? Is it the weather or some thing in me changing again?

davedsel2 responded:
Hello and welcome.

I am sorry you are having so much pain and I fully understand.

Weather changes affect most of us who live with chronic pain. We had a blizzard in our area last weekend, then a thaw, not it is getting colder again. Yesterday and today my pain levels have been elevated.

Do what you can to manage your pain as best as possible. Keep doing your research, keep moving as much as possible and keep a positive attitude.
Please click on my username or avatar picture to read my story.

Blessings,

-Dave

unhappybeoch replied to davedsel2's response:
Thank you. I know of the blizzard here by Chicago. And now the warm weather. I try to keep moving, but then I start burning up From the pain. Sit down to cool off and then I fall to sleep. It's a never ending thing for me, when the weather changes. Thanks for reading and advise. God bless and take care.
Theresa

aprilrose9 responded:
Hi!, Because of cerebral spinal fluid, weather changes, (i.e. cold front with snow or rain), your damaged nerves in your spine will respond to the lowering barometric pressure. You will feel these changes. I know for 24 hours before snow or rain is heading my way. Winter is usually the worst 3-4 months of my year.

As for getting too used to your medications, you may be due for a narcotic rotation. Make sure you request this change at your next appointment. I usually need a rotation every 9-12 months. Your body will tell you when it is time to make a change. The main medication you take (not the meds you take for break through pain) is the narcotic you need to change and place in rotation. If your doc knows what they are doing you will not go through narcotic withdrawl.

Hope you feel better. They told those of us in the northern mid-west states we were in for a difficult weather winter.

unhappybeoch replied to aprilrose9's response:
Thank you. I have been going back to some older meds that I got use to and they seem to stop working all at once. Monday I have my monthly appointment. And I'm going to explain the things I'm learning. Yesterday I went back on methocarbamol, oxycodone and diazepam. I lower the amount of oxy and stopped the fentanyl patch. I'm starting to feel a little better with this change in medications. I try different things when the pain is to bad. I even tried an over the counter artritist pill, that didn't help any. So with you telling me about the rotation on medications. And what I started to do myself. My doctor is going to have to listen. He wanted to give me morphine and it didn't work before. Plus I know that's very addictive. I won't take them. I'll have to do the rotation thing. Thank You for the help. Take care.

painloopy replied to unhappybeoch's response:
Hi unappybeoch!
I'm sorry you are going through much pain (and probably depression along with it). You are in the right place to find people in the same boat and we certainly understand. I've been on narcotic pain meds for 7 years straight now and have to switch around a few times to get better results. Unfortunately - they only can do so much - especially with nerve pain. Have you tried any of the nerve pain meds - see this article for more info (http://www.webmd.com/pain-management/prescription-medications-treatments-nerve-pain )
Another option is aqua physical therapy. I know a lot of folks who haven't tried it that are in moderate to severe pain often think it will cause more damage but if you go to a proper licensed physical therapist - they will not hurt you. It may take some time so give it a chance to work but ultimately it does help and also prevents further damage. If you see all the stuff I have (see under my signature) then you will see I have a lot of pain too. If I didn't do aqua physical therapy I would be in bed all the time too but PT has given me the ability to move and last longer than without it. It doesn't make all the pain go away and is not meant to resolve the medical issues - but it really does help you be able to physically move and do things (like feed animals). You may want to ask your doctor about a TENs unit or Lidoderm patches on your worst pain areas - they are very good for spot pain relief and non-narcotic.
I hope these give you some more options to think about.
Painloopy

DDD, 2 discectomies L3-L4, L4-L5, ADR L4-L5, spinal stimulator implant, facet and SI joint injections, too many pain meds.

unhappybeoch replied to painloopy's response:
Thank you. First the insurance I have wouldn't pay for any thing. And with the DDD Cervical MRI All the cervical intervertebral discs exhibit diminished signal intensity, consistent with desiccanon/degenerative of these structures
At C4-C5 mild compression of the thecal sac.
At C5-C6 a small to moderate size posterior disc protrusion which mildly compresses the thecal sac.
At C6-C7 small to moderate size right paracentral disc protrusion which compression of the thecal sac.
This was from 2002. Doctors will not redo the MRI, because they know the issue there.
2003 they did lumbar and here's that one from then.
degenerative changes
disc degeneration at L4-L5 and L5-S1
Moderate size HNP at L4-L5 with central and suspected mild bilateral subarticular stenosis. Possible cephalad extrusion of disc fragment. Also My one hip bone is deteriorated half way down also from disease.
There was also one about narrowing some where in cervical area. one was 9.5 and then next one down to 8.7 then next one down to 7.9. I can't find those papers and they where from 2009. All I was told there's changes. The cervical rib bones are gone. The doctors will not do any more MRIs or X-rays. So I'm on my own. Insurance will not do any thing except give pills, unless it's life threating. I see doctor Monday, If you have any suggestions on meds. please let me know. Because each year I feel worst and just keep getting more pills.
Thank you for info and maybe with these MRI readings you'l understand where i'm at with the DDD.
Thanks and take care. glad to hear you found some relief.

maryruth1963 replied to unhappybeoch's response:
My doctor has quit giving me anything because I told him after being on for 7 or more years they weren't working. He said I must be addicted to them and took me off everything, what can I do this is a workers comp case and they pay for all my meds

davedsel2 replied to maryruth1963's response:
Hello.

Since this is a wc case, I hope you have an attorney working for you. If not, find one asap. If you do have an attorney, let him/her know about this and they will see what can be done. You can also change doctors at any time as long as the new doctor works with wc cases.

I understand how difficult wc is as my wife is about to settle her wc claim from her accident at work that happened almost 3 years ago. She was even approved for SSD, but wc does not consider her totally and permanent disabled yet. The wc laws are for the employers, not the employees.

I pray you can get all this worked out soon.
Please click on my username or avatar picture to read my story.

Blessings,

-Dave

Helpful Tips

Steps For Getting Back Pain Diagnosed And Treated
Many people come to this WebMD Back Pain Community looking for help in getting a diagnosis of a cause and relief from their back pain. Most ... More
Was this Helpful?
221 of 338 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Spine Center