Skip to content
New to Community - Need a smile
needanangel posted:
Hello all,

I am new to this forum and wanted to introduce myself. I am a female, early forties, and live in Georgia. I have had four back surgeries - which have included a Laminectomy on L4-L5, Two fusions on L4-L5 and L5-S1, and finally an SCS implant. I have not had a surgery in two years, nor am I interested in having an other surgeries unless someone tells me I will no longer be able to walk.

I have been feeling pretty down lately because I had to switch my pain management doctor, who I really liked, who treated me like a person. And, he told me, I had to go somewhere else because I was outside of his radius from where he could treat patients. There was little warning of this happening - it was sprung on me. I, of course, asked if I had done anything wrong and was told no. But, it does little to help you feel better when you know you are up for the battle of...establishing yourself again at a pain management center, establishing yourself at a pharmacy who will a)take your prescriptions and b)take your prescriptions from that particular doctor, because many will not. You add that on top of failed back surgeries and chronic pain and you know you are in for a tough battle before it even begins.

It saddens and surprises me how many people I read about here with my problems. Chronic pain, failed back surgeries, neuropathy, etc. like I do. It saddens me further I do not read many stories of hope. Stories of patients who have found doctors who treat them like people with a real issue. Mostly, I read of people like me who are hurting and scared - feeling like there is no way out of this hell. And, always trying to accept the word, 'forever.'

I hate there are so many people out there who have made this harder to deal with - all of us with chronic pain. Those who have abused the system. I feel sorry/angry for them and wish they had a better glimpse into really how HARD it is to wake up in the morning, get through the day, and, hope you will have a better quality of life sooner rather than later. And how, through chronic pain - they have added emotional pain to it - to me, personally.

I hope all goes well with this new pain management doctor. I have of course - agreed to all the drug testing, using one pharmacy, etc. I have absolutely no problems with any of it. I did have him, however, laugh at me when I told him why my doctor could no longer see me and that it did not sound right. And, so, that has left me with a feeling of dread. I told him it was the only reason I was given and when I specifically asked if I did anything wrong, I was told no and also told he was losing me and a lot of other patients he did not want to lose.

I see this new doctor again next month, I hope everything goes well - because, I do not want to change doctors again just to go through the same rigamarole. Filling out paperwork, agreements, finding a pharmacy, etc. Has anyone else gone through this as of late? Had to change doctors? Could it be the beginning of the new year? I am trying to put my mind at ease and would appreciate any insight. So far I have just spent hours and hours reading on the internet. Which can sometimes help and hurt. Me being so upset makes my pain worse, I am sure a lot of you can appreciate how that is as well.

Until then, I will do what we all do - breath in and out, pray, hope getting through another day. I am glad I found this community so I can speak to others out there who have the same issues. So I can say, 'today it feels like hot oil was spilled on my foot' and people understand what I mean. Thanks.

davedsel2 responded:
Hello and welcome. Yes, we do understand what you are going through in this community. We are a support group of lay people who have far too much experience with back pain.

I love your screen name. I believe that angels are created beings, and a group of them have been assigned to guard and protect humans. Prayer is the best thing for dealing with any issues including chronic pain.

I pray that your upcoming appointment with your new doctor does go well. Tell him/her everything and be honest. My wonderful wife is now disabled also due to a work-related back injury that occurred 3 years ago. She just had to change pain managers because the previous doctor moved out of state. She sees the new doctor this Wednesday and we are hoping for good results for her.

Please feel free to come often, ask questions and vent.
Please click on my username or avatar picture to read my story.

Blessings,

-Dave

needanangel replied to davedsel2's response:
Dave,

Thank you so much for the welcome. I just had my second appointment with the new doctor and it went a lot better than the first appointment, thank God.

He spoke about my SCS and why it was not getting rid of my pain...I told him I felt the same way. The whole purpose of me getting the implant was to reduce my pain and hopefully my medication.

However, now, I have had NEW pain in between my shoulders where they did the lamenectomy to put the leeds in for the SCS. I never had problems with my upper back...until now. And, as far as the pain, it is controlled fine by my gabapentin. Which was not even tried on me until AFTER I had the implant! Ugh, I feel like I had a surgery given to me when I could have just opted for gabapentin. My scar tissue around the implant is atrocious. It is causing the leeds to move, and, the vibrating just...gets on my nerves now.

Thank you for saying to come often and feel free to vent - I feel like that is all I have done today, I really feel guilty for it...

Helpful Tips

Strech
streching every hour helps More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 5 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Spine Center