Skip to content


    Exciting News for WebMD Members!

    We've been busy behind the scenes building new message boards for you. You'll have new and easier ways to find messages, connect with others, and share your stories.

    And, this will all be available on your smartphone or other mobile device!

    What Do You Need to Do?

    The message board you're used to will be closing in the coming weeks. While many of your boards will be making the move to our new home, your posts will not. Want to keep a discussion going? Save posts you want to continue (this includes your member profile story), so that you can re-post them in the new message boards.

    Keep an eye here and on your email inbox, we'll be back in touch soon to give you all the information you need!

    Yours in health,
    WebMD Message Boards Management

    Where to go next
    valeriana438 posted:
    I need some advice and I'm not sure where to go.
    I'll try to make this as short as possible.

    Over the past few years I've been having problems with my lower back. Around January 2012 the pain was unbearable so I went to the doctor.
    They took x-rays and said I was fine, to take some Ibuprofen and put an ice pack on it. A week later I could barely move so, on a friends'
    recommendation, I went to a chiropractor. He sent me to an orthopedic surgeon, who again took x-rays. His comment was, "you have a very
    healthy spine for a woman your age". But he couldn't explain why I was having lower back pain. Several months passed when I told my chiropractor
    something else needed to be done since the pain was getting worse. He sent me to have an MRI done back in October. It showed I had one
    protruding disc, one bulging disc, stage 4 disc degeneration and osteoarthritis. But, he said, this still wouldn't explain the pain. So I kept doing
    my usual things every day until two weeks ago when I started getting pains radiating down my legs. I had another MRI done two weeks ago.
    This one shows two bulging discs (one is torn and the other is encroaching on the nerve), stage 4 disc degeneration and osteoarthritis.
    Yet, the chiropractor says this MRI shows improvement over the previous one. Huh????

    This afternoon when I saw my chiropractor he said he wanted to send me to a pain management specialist. When I asked him why he gave me
    an odd look and said so they can manage my pain. I told him I don't want to cover up the symptoms, I want to get to the root of the problem
    and get it fixed. I told him, in my opinion, seeing a pain management doctor would be like taking aspirin to get rid of a headache from a brain tumor.
    He said, no, it's worse. It's like covering a smoke detector with a pillow when there's a fire. I have no idea what he meant by that comment.

    I know I need to see another doctor. I have an appointment with my PCP on Feb 7. The orthopedic doctor I saw is part of the largest orthopedic
    practice where I live and it will be hard to find one that's not in that practice.

    Do you have any suggestions???
    davedsel2 responded:
    Hello and welcome.

    I am sorry you are having so much pain and fully understand.

    I think you would benefit by seeing a neurosurgeon. To me, your MRI does show the reasons you are in so much pain. Surgery should always be your last resort. Statistics show that spinal surgery can only relieve up to 60% of the pain and improve functionality by 80%. The neurosurgeon can assess your condition and recommend a good treatment plan.

    After seeing the neurosurgeon, a pain management specialist that is a physiatrist would be a good doctor to see. They go deeper and offer a wide variety of methods.

    Sometimes spinal conditions are not able to be corrected and we have to seek good methods for managing our pain.

    Do your research. Here are links to websites that have good information about spinal problems and solutions:

    WebMD Back Pain Health Center:


    Spine Universe:

    I pray you can find the answers and relief you need soon.
    Please click on my username or avatar picture to read my story.


    valeriana438 replied to davedsel2's response:
    Thank you so much for your reply!! I've never heard of a physiatrist. I'll check out the links. Again, thank you!!
    davedsel2 replied to An_255559's response:
    You obviously have had a bad experience with chiropractors. I am sorry to read that. I, however, have been seeing a chiropractor for over 10 years. He has kept me out of a wheelchair. Two neurosurgeons that I have seen have attested to this fact and are strong proponents of chiropractic care.

    I understand this is not a treatment for everyone, but nothing is. What works for one person will not necessarily work for another. I would encourage you to be less quick to judge and not attack anyone so viciously.
    Please click on my username or avatar picture to read my story.



    Helpful Tips

    Making the Most of Your Doctor Visit #2Expert
    Here are the rest of the suggestions (had to break into to two parts due to the character limits) 5. Make sure that all records ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    39 of 54 found this helpful

    Related Drug Reviews

    • Drug Name User Reviews

    Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

    FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

    For more information, visit the Duke Health Spine Center