Skip to content


    Attention All WebMD Community Members:

    These message boards are closed to posting. Please head on over to our new WebMD Message Boards to check out and participate in the great conversations taking place:

    Your new WebMD Message Boards are now open!

    Making the move is as easy as 1-2-3.

    1. Head over to this page:

    2. Choose the tag from the drop-down menu that clicks most with you (and add it to any posts you create so others can easily find and sort through posts)

    3. Start posting

    Have questions? Email us anytime at

    continual back pain
    An_255299 posted:
    where to start? yes I've had rods and screws implanted by neuro dr x2, 5 years apart, have been told I have disk problems, spinal stenosis, I also have scs for over 7 years, work very hard with rep to get it just right' many m.any visits, stimulation likes to go to stomach-chest area if strong enough to work on back while being on 2700mg neurontin day 800sklexxtin 2x day,oxy5 3x day lunesta pm,($65mo with insurance
    & their discount card) Butran 10 patches(over &100mo-told don,t qualify for discount program) Effexor 75er 2xday. I don't know what to do any more, we live in a small town, larger city over 2 hrs away. I went to de yesterday,he got mad at me for going to ER for constant cronic pain, threatened to no longer treat me if go to er again
    I am very frustrated and in pain ANY SUGGESTIONS?? PLEASE HELP
    davedsel2 responded:
    Hello and welcome.

    I am sorry you are going through all this and fully understand.

    The right kind of doctor to see initially is a spinal neurosurgeon or spinal orthopedic surgeon. They can accurately diagnose what is causing your pain and recommend effective treatment plans.

    After that would be a pain management specialist that is physiatrist. These doctors go deeper and offer a wide variety of treatments.

    I hate to say it, but going to the emergency room for chronic pain is not an efficient form of treatment. In time they look at such patients as drug seekers even through they are not. Finding ways to manage your pain on a regular basis with the help of a pain managment physiatrist would be your best option. Find one in your area even if it is a long drive. It will be worth your time, efforts and money much better spent.

    I pray you can find answers and relief soon.
    Please click on my username or avatar picture to read my story.


    deeback responded:

    hi continuation of above...have seen neuro and orthopedic surgeons, along with pain clinic dr.s and their pa, have had mri's, but due to scs cannot have any more, nor can I go to chiropractor, go to pain clinic about every 3 months and have told dr and pa that current meds not working for the last3 or 4 visits, I feel i'm just not being listened to that is why I went to er. have contacted a behavioral health office and am waiting for the pain clinic and mental health office to get their act on the same page so I can go there, I try to do a little walking, but hurts to go very far, walking from back bedroom to kitchen 3 or 4 times and hurt so bad I just want to sit down and cry I or we have been married for 39 years, have 3 boys and and daughter in their 30's, a 5 and 10 year old grandsons that are seen often, also a 100lb loveable golden retriever and a kitty. yes I do have a wonderful rocker, even with everything I know how to do---bath, rocking ect and meds listed above and aleve I still am in uncontrollable pain ( I know there will always be some pain ) but the rate I am at is not acceptable...sorry for venting but maybe that's what this site is for thanks dee
    stellagonzalez responded:
    Regular exercise and yoga is one of the best option which you can go through it, I am sure it will help you a lot.

    Helpful Tips

    Steps For Getting Back Pain Diagnosed And Treated
    Many people come to this WebMD Back Pain Community looking for help in getting a diagnosis of a cause and relief from their back pain. Most ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    226 of 343 found this helpful

    Helpful Resources

    Related Drug Reviews

    • Drug Name User Reviews

    Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

    FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

    For more information, visit the Duke Health Spine Center