Skip to content
TRS1960
bj1208 posted:
Hey there - just wanted to see how you were doing - haven't seen you here for a couple days.

Also wanted to see if you could give your 2cents worth on pain pump implants to a new member - her name is Mona and her post heading "SEVERE PAIN SYMPTOMS".

I hope you are doing well~~

Take care~~
~~ Click on my name or picture and read my story ~~
~~ Joy ~~
FirstPrevious12NextLast

trs1960 responded:
Sorry for being AWOL. I've been frantically working with insurance,our government, my doc and my wife

I feel pretty good measured in our world. The pump manages the pain about like the oral meds did when they worked well.

If I over do it, I can't control it with extra meds and just have to wait for things to mellow.

This is a good thing as I don't have the roller coaster effect of oral meds.

The bad thing is I can't get more relief when I've really over done it. I can administer small bolus doses, but they are very subtle and don't provide much relief. Overall I've gone from a constant 8-9 to a 2-5 so that's really good and I take no oral analgesics to help out. I don't want to use any oral pain meds I think we can the pump dialed and I don't expect to be 100% pain free.

The pump is not that small and my diaphragm area is already shortened by 3-1/2" of loss of height. This make real estate around my diaphragm at a premium for things like a bladder, lungs,liver colon etc. I can hardly bend or twist making things like tying my shoes difficult.

I'm always short of breath and I pass pass gas whenever I bend over. I have problems breathing in general and am a bit uncomfortable.

Overall pain is good, but I think I'm wearing out L4-L5

Thanks Joy. I hope you're doing deter after your pleasures !

Tim

davedsel2 replied to trs1960's response:
Good to see you, Tim. Praying you can get all your challenges worked out soon. I am very glad the pump seems to be working well for you.
Please click on my username or avatar picture to read my story.

Blessings,

-Dave

bj1208 replied to trs1960's response:
Hi Tim - glad to see your post -

well I'm not doing so well - had my CT Scan done and was not happy with the results. Surgeon looked at it and said he doesn't see anything that would be causing the pains - however I believe he is referring to what he did seeing the screws etc are intact. I don't think you saw the results so here they are:

>>Lower lumbar scoliosis convex the left maximal at L4-L5 is present.[br>>>Mild circumferential L3-L4 disc bulging is present[br>>>There are degenerative changes of L3-L4 apophyseal joints and gas in the right joint space.[br>>>Anterior subluxation L4 on L5 by 7mm is present.[br>>>there is lateral translation of L4 to the left of L5 by 1.4cm.[br>>>A graft is present within L4-L5 disc space with endplate erosion, irregularity and sclerosis.[br>>>Gas is present within L4-L5 disc space.[br>>>L4 laminectomy defect is present.[br>>>Right L4-L5 apophyseal joint has been resected.[br>>>The spinal canal is distorted but normal in diameter.[br>>>Anterior plate with screws and interbody graft are present at L5-S1 with bony fusion.[br>[br>Impression:[br>[br>1) Lateral translation L4 to the left of L5 and grade 1 spondylolisthesis[br>2) Pedicle screws an interbody graft at L4-L5.[br>3) gas in L4-L5 disc space indicating persistant mobility.[br>4) L4 laminectomy and right facetectomy.[br>5) Mild circumferential L3-L4 disc bulging.

So I'm pretty upset - the domino effect is starting L3-4 is starting to bulge so................

Anyway good to see your post - take care~~
~~ Joy ~~

trs1960 replied to bj1208's response:
I'm worried about L4-S1 too. The pump has helped the rest of my spine, but I fear I've upset the last few discs remaining in my lower spine.

I don't know what else to say, we've been through this topic so many times

Good luck,

Tim

trs1960 replied to trs1960's response:
Oh, I think everything else is coming along. Anybody had much experience with medicaid? I'm trying to get processed and I think I'm finally almost there. Once there how well does it work?

Once I get SSDI I'll qualify for the silver plan heavily subsidized It will cost a little more, but give me more flexibility with coverage... I think?

Tim

tuloud54 replied to trs1960's response:
Good to hear from you.I've had my pump for 15 months now and am just now getting great relief. My bolus has been jumped way up and will help you better in the future.Patience,grasshopper.patience. You also will notice it less as it does settle in your body with time. Sounds like you are getting solid relief and that is good to hear. It is still early and sounds like progress for you.Stay strong and do what needs to be done.That is all any of us can do! Stay positive. Tom

bj1208 replied to tuloud54's response:
Tuloud54 - glad to see your post and glad the pain pump is working well for you.

Keep us posted how you are doing~~ take care~~
~~ Joy ~~

tuloud54 replied to bj1208's response:
Looking back on it now,it really was the scariest thing I've ever done. I truly feel it was not a choice and have no regrets. The one thing I fear is someone getting hurt by getting this done! I was ready to die rather then try and live/exist the way I had. We each make our own choices but pain mgmt. today has forced some decisions on us. We all just want a little relief so we can enjoy our lives.Pain free is a funny punch line to pain patients.We know that will not happen.Doctors need to realize we just need a little relief.Just a little. Enjoy your days! Thanks bj.

trs1960 replied to tuloud54's response:
Yeah, my doc doesn't say "pain relief" he just asks how I'm managing it. He knows it will never go away.

My goal is to be able to use the pump with no oral meds.

My old medical insurance ran out and I'm still making daily phone calls to medicaid and at least I had human contact today. It's progressing. As is my SSDI. Once that goes through I'll be off medicaid and on regular insurance that is heavily subsidized due to affordable healthcare. My income will be based on SSDI only so hopefully we can make it through the transition.

T

debs_bears replied to trs1960's response:
Tim I am praying that the SSDI transition goes smoothly for you.

I am on total disability and I receive both SSDI and SSDA. SSDA is based on how much money you earned before getting it. So I get more SSDA and a very small amount of $'s on SSDI.

SSDI qualifies you for Medicaid and after 2 yrs you would qualify for Medicare. Debbie
May you have the best pain free day as possible My prayers are with you. ~~~Debbie~~~

trs1960 replied to debs_bears's response:
I'm still pushing uphill. I'm hoping to have a plan selected tomorrow. I got denied by medicaid because they count every penny coming in my house as income. I wasted two months to find out that even though my non taxable insurance check I receive from my insurance company and is non income based on IRS pub 525 is only included by medicaid.

If things work tomorrow I'll be happy

Alice and wonderland !!!!

davedsel2 replied to trs1960's response:
Good to see a post from you, Tim.

I found out similar information when I went to apply for food stamps a few years ago. Every penny that comes into the house is counted, and if you go above the threshold you are disqualified.

I am continuing to pray that all works well for you. Please update us again and let us know how you are doing.
Please click on my username or avatar picture to read my story.

Blessings,

-Dave

debs_bears replied to trs1960's response:
I am sorry to hear that - I only have me in my house so only my stuff is counted for which I am below the poverty level. Sorry you had wasted 2 months to learn that - it is a shame that can't tell people up front. I will continue to pray that good comes out of all this. Debbie
May you have the best pain free day as possible My prayers are with you. ~~~Debbie~~~

bj1208 replied to trs1960's response:
Hey Tim - glad to see ur post -

I am sorry to hear that - did you at least get to speak with your case worker to go over everything to make sure? Sometimes they don't know what the left hand is doing from the right one.

I hope everything works out for you - keep in touch~~
~~ Joy ~~

Helpful Tips

Spinal fusion
I had lumbar fusion at L 4-5, L5-S1 19 years ago with limited success. I have been disabled because of pain, but I still consider the ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 1 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Spine Center