Skip to content
LARGE Increase in medication price
bj1208 posted:
Hey everyone - as some are aware I do not have a regular prescription RX card like some medical insurance carriers have. My husband's insurance thru the Union is based on number of hours worked in a quarters period thus going back 6 months for verification. Kinda like unemployment is worked up.

Anyway, with his insurance being this way, any prescriptions we purchase we must pay up front then submit receipts for reimbursement (takes up to 4-6 weeks to get check).

I went to get my morphine sulfate (extended release) filled this last Wednesday and the pharmacy told me that there is only one manufacturing company for the morphine and they have implemented a large increase. I normally pay $107 (this is at independent pharmacy for discounts) and was shocked as the price is now $260!!! Yes the medication increased $160.

I called around to other pharmacies (CVS, Walmart etc) and the prices there were over $300.

It's sad that there is only one manufacturing company now for morphine but it's bad enough to increase the medication just because you can.

I called my pain PA and left a message stating I could purchse the med this time but next month need to do something different - her nurse called me back saying that morphine was the cheapest medication. I told her there was an increase in price and there still has to be something else to put me on. Don't think she was understanding my message so I told her I would talk to Donna next month.

Will have to really discuss this with her as I cannot pay this much of increase. And yes I will be contacting the manufacturer to make a complaint.

Hope every has a great pain free day!!
~~ Click on my name or picture and read my story ~~
~~ Joy ~~

dianer01 responded:
That's a heartbreaker Joy! I would keep shopping around to the different pharmacies. I know you called the major ones but have you asked if they have a discount program? I joined(bought in for $35 per year) Walgreens and find even with traditional insurance the deals are better with their subscription program. I don't know if your meds are on their list but it does include several hundred drugs.

If you or your husband are veterans, you may be able to get on the VA prescription drug program without giving up your current doc.

my thoughts, let us know what you are able to figure out.

di

davedsel2 responded:
Sorry to read this, Joy. I agree with Di - my wife and sons are using their Walgreens discount for prescription drugs and getting good prices for most.

I am thankful that I have an excellent Medicare plan where most of my generic drugs are free. For my regular drugs, only one is a "Tier 3" and that is $40.00 per month.

I hope you can find a solution soon.
Please click on my username or avatar picture to read my story.

Blessings,

-Dave

pieguy responded:
I know I was shocked too. That it went up a great deal. I have to get mine filled a the hospital's pharmacy, as Walgreens, CVS & Rite Aid refuse to fill my pain meds. Anyways they charged BCBS $338.29 leaving me a bill of $101.20!!

bj1208 replied to dianer01's response:
hi Di and Dave -

I go to an independent pharmacy where they can give a bigger discount for those that do not have insurance.

I have checked with Walgreens when they were the only ones that carried Roxicodone (few years ago there was only one mfg) and their price was $1,000 but with their discount it was $600. Even at that I can't afford to go their.

This is why I have to stick to independent pharmacies. It stinks but best I can do. I have shopped around - every 6 months I make calls to all pharmacies - independent pharmacies are getting fewer and fewer. I'm on the MO side of state line - my pain clinic is in KS and their prices are higher - Medicine Shoppe is known to give discounts to ones without insurance - but the Shoppe I used to go to was red flagged on Oxycodone (government said they dispensed more than what is allowed) so they can never dispense this medication.

I am looking at changing my oxycodcone to diladids - CVS quoted me a price of $47 for a 15 day supply - no discounts applied yet. So if they have a cheap price may go there. It's a pain to go to the independent pharmacy I go to as it's inside a hospital - trying to get a handicap spot and having to walk into the place etc is so hard - I'm usually in tears by time I get there.

CVS is almost right down the street from me and easier to get to plus they know me there. I just need to work with my PA to find a different med than the morphine.

Thanks guys~~
~~ Joy ~~

bj1208 replied to pieguy's response:
Hi PieGuy - welcome to the support group -

yes I get mine filled at the hospital pharmacy as it's an independent pharmacy and gives me a discount since our insurance is Union and based on hours worked in 1/4's time - so we have to pay up front and then submit receipts for reimbursement (can take 4-6 weeks).

The price at CVS and Walgreens is way too high even on their discount program.

Making a complaint to the mfg is way to go - hopefully prices will drop.
~~ Joy ~~

bj1208 responded:
Oh for those that don't know the mfg for morphine is RHODES - look them up and make complaints!!!
~~ Joy ~~

mona717 responded:
Hi bj1208: I know exactly what you mean about the increased cost of pain meds. I take 3 different types of morphine, plus the Fentanyl patch and a few others. all have increased substantially since last year. I was told by the pharmacy that even though the Morphine is generic, there is now a new category called "brand generic" that the morphine falls into now. The pharmaceutical companies have created this new category which allows them to "legally" charge more. They buy up the patents on the generic medications and change the smallest ingredient (that is usually not pain control related) which then gives them the "new" drug - which mean it is now eligible for the "brand generic" category. I have called our local gov't rep. as well as written to AARP, Pres. Obama, and the drug companies themselves. I have received some responses, but not many. I have been told that as terrible as this is - it is unfortunately "legal". To all of you who have experienced this with pain meds. as well as other non-pain related meds. call and write the companies and your gov't reps. Many voices can make a difference. Until it does, I have to ration out my drugs as best that I can. I know a lot of you are in the same boat. Hang in there everyone. (Mona)

deach777 replied to bj1208's response:
Joy, since i work for CVS, I get my drugs for free, yeah right. I wish. But there is a discount card that will work for you.
http://www.uspharmacydiscountcard.com/discounts
Hope that will help. God Bless us everyone, ~Deach~

bj1208 replied to deach777's response:
Hey Deach - glad to hear from ya - hope you are doing well and staying pain free~

I have 3 discount cards at CVS!!!! LOL I have them try each one to get the best discount and the one you referenced is one that they have on file.

The counties here in MO and KS also have a discount card they issued to all residents about 6 yrs ago and I also printed a coupon to save UP TO 75% off purchase of medications. I love the word UP TO as it's their loophole so as to not be in trouble for discounts that are lower than the 75%.

Take care Deach - good to hear from ya~~
~~ Joy ~~

Helpful Tips

MRI Results of Back Help
Just received my MRI and need to wait 2 weeks for my follow up appointment. Can anyone help me read the results and let me know how serious ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 2 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Spine Center