Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
failed back surgery
mendy44 posted:
has anyone out there been more or less pushed into disability that loves to work and has no idea how to have a daily schedule with out a job to plan life around? This was My biggest challenge. of course the pain sucks but to deal with that and have a life you have to start somewhere. /sometimes i am pretty sure most people would look at a typical day and say "HEY, what life?"

bj1208 responded:
Hi Mendy44 -

Yes I was pretty much pushed into full disability after my first fusion (L5-S1 done 2/08) I was actually applying for partial disability while I recovered and after my 3rd month post op my pains came back worse than before surgery. So I ended up hiring a disability attorney and filed full disability.

I was manager of accounting so you can imagine the hours I worked. Then to do to no hours. Of course the first 7 months post op was recovery period then surgeon released me to pain management and physical therapy.

I am in recovery now as I just had my 2nd fusion (L4-5 done 12/13) and am having more pains again than before surgery.

It's an adjustment being disabled but look at the brighter side of it - being able to see grandkids more etc.

Hope this helps~~
~~ Click on my name or picture and read my story ~~
~~ Joy ~~

An_255590 replied to bj1208's response:
mendy44 here. I also was office mgr./accountant/and what ever else position I needed to fill. I high carried trays in 4 inch heels for 9 yrs and it just took 2&1/2 yrs of sitting in front of computer to take me down. I was approved for disability in 9 mos so i got lucky there.

tuloud54 responded:
May 18,2008!!! Last day I COULD work.It is really never a choice for most of us. I hope you do not beat yourself up and realize trying to explain your situation to someone who has never had real pain is fruitless. They will never understand and that hurts to the bone.I have lost contact with many family and friends because lets face it,sometimes we just can't do stuff we planned to do.I don't know how I am going to feel in the next five minutes,let alone next Tues. Acceptance for me came with time.I hope to volunteer with things that are useful for the cause and for me.Pain pump installed Nov 2012 and just now am getting decent pain relief. My biggest fear is this puppy stops pumping. I wish I could give more answers but you are now starting a new page in your life book and only you can write it. Thanks for sharing and God bless. Tom

davedsel2 responded:
My issues are basically the result of a spinal birth defect that has caused multiple serious problems as I've aged. To date, I have never had surgery but that may be an option in the near future depending on what my new physiatrist says.

Regardless of the reason, many of us share the fact that we had to stop working far earlier than planned or expected. As much "fun" as being retired is, it is not fun that it was forced by disability and returning to work would never be a possibility for me. My career was in Information Technology and I loved what I did for a living, I try to keep up with current technology and use what skills I have to manage our family finances and personal business. That give me a sense of worth and purpose.

Now my wife is disabled due to a work accident that happened almost 3 years ago. She always tells people how amazing it was that her life changed so drastically in just a second. She also advises everyone to avoid falling off a step stool backwards while trying to stock a top shelf. Not a good thing to do.

We are now enjoying an early retirement together. We each have new wonderful power lift recliner chairs and enjoy watching TV shows like NCIS, Bones and Castle. Record all the repeats and new shows. We play games on our computers and get plenty of quality time together. That is a true blessing and the best result out of our trials.

As I have said in this forum so many times, a positive attitude is essential for emotional survival. Focus on the blessings and enjoy life as best as possible.

Keep moving as much as possible. Keep doing your research. Keep a positive attitude.
Please click on my username or avatar picture to read my story.

Blessings,

-Dave

mona717 replied to davedsel2's response:
Hi Dave,
I know exactly what you mean about a "forced" retirement. I still had alot of years left to work - but God evidently has other plans for me. I hope that I keep a positive attitude, and attitude of gratitude and see many small things in every day to not only be grateful for, but that also make me smile and laugh. I try everyday to make someone else smile and laugh too. Of course - being able to laugh at ourselves is key. Thank you Dave for your positive attitude on this site. I for one appreciate your approach to life. Peace - Mona

mendy44 replied to bj1208's response:
OMG you replied to my complete and utter frustration I encountered when put on ssi. I to was a office mgr. I was a nightclub mgr/promotions director/cocktail waitress prior to being unable to live and work with the pain. I also had fusions at L4-5/L5-S1, all at once. but i recently read that a job sitting most or all of your shift is a enemy to any one that has back problems. It took all of 5 or less yrs in a normal job to bring me to my knees. anyhow havent checked in since i was hacked. Glad to hear you had a real RECOVERY!!

mendy44 replied to tuloud54's response:
hey there, been out of touch, but thanks for ur kind words. I understand that fear u have , and I have recently aquired a new one, my tolerance builds up to high to fast. Excuse the inappropriate but I cant POO as it is. MY dr wants to change my pump meds to (and in this order) diladed, fentynyl morphine. He said its that or get another mri and fix what he already suspects but has not confirmed. My neighbors thought I was a heavy drinking housewife for the 1st 3 yrs I moved into my home. They know better, now , and it is funny, it has to be other wise why even get out of bed. You know?

bj1208 replied to mendy44's response:
Hi Mend

I wouldn't say u had a real recovery as the only part if the surgery that has gone right is my.fusions took however my pains are worse, far worse than before my first surgery. I do have permanent nerve damage in both legs so I'm pretty much worse (can't imagine pains worse than this) where I cry every day cause how much I hurt. Ugh!!
~~ Click on my name or picture and read my story ~~
~~ Joy ~~

Helpful Tips

Try water therapy
I also have had surgery for L5S1,protruding disc for sciatic pain. Everything was fine for a year. Then the pain came back and the doctor ... More
Was this Helpful?
17 of 27 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Spine Center