Skip to content


    Exciting News for WebMD Members!

    We've been busy behind the scenes building new message boards for you. You'll have new and easier ways to find messages, connect with others, and share your stories.

    And, this will all be available on your smartphone or other mobile device!

    What Do You Need to Do?

    The message board you're used to will be closing in the coming weeks. While many of your boards will be making the move to our new home, your posts will not. Want to keep a discussion going? Save posts you want to continue (this includes your member profile story), so that you can re-post them in the new message boards.

    Keep an eye here and on your email inbox, we'll be back in touch soon to give you all the information you need!

    Yours in health,
    WebMD Message Boards Management

    Chronic lower back pain
    abaker1015 posted:
    I have been dealing with this my entire life; I was born with a broken/disconnected collar bone on my right side. This has caused (according to my dr.'s) my chronic lower back pain, I've dealt with this forever and short of having surgery (that may not help) to fix it, there is nothing that works. I'm 32 with two small children; 4 and 2 yrs. I have been excruciating pain for about six days now, I can't lift or bend without being in a ton of pain. Obviously I can't get the rest off my feet that I need with small children so I've tried that therapeutic heat pads with 8 hr of relief. That hasn't given me any relief, I've tried back pain ointment, no relief, I've been taking tylenol and again no relief. I've also tried the exercises that a past physical therapist told me to do and they are not helping. I'm at the top of my pain tolerance level now and I'm looking for any advice on how to dull the pain more, I know I can't make it go away completely I just want to be able to function more easily. Thank you for your help
    davedsel2 responded:
    Hello and welcome.

    I am sorry you are in so much pain and fully understand.

    It is best to consult with spine specialist such as spinal orthopedic surgeons or spinal neurosurgeons when dealing with issues such as yours (and most of ours here). The spinal specialist will review your latest MRI or CT scan and may want a new one. They will then develop and recommend an effective treatment plan for you. Surgery should be your last resort and you should get several opinions if that is one of your options.

    After you have seen the spinal specialist, the next step would be a pain management specialist that is a physiatrist. These doctors go deeper and offer a wide variety of treatment. Here is a link to an article on that explains what this specialist is and does:

    Keep doing your research. Here are links to good websites that have information about spinal problems and solutions:

    WebMD Back Pain Health Center:



    Keep moving as much as possible. Keep a positive attitude.

    Please keep us updated and let us know how you are doing. Come any time to ask questions or just to vent.

    I pray you can find answers and relief soon.2
    Please click on my username or avatar picture to read my story.


    abaker1015 replied to davedsel2's response:
    Thank you Dave for your suggestions, unfortunately I don't have health insurance due to the high costs and am forced to decide to feed my children or get insurance for myself (my kids are of course insured but I'm not). I just don't know what to do to relieve my pain at the moment as all the things that have worked in the past are no longer working for me. I have started ice 20 minutes on 20 minutes off and that is not helping much either. I guess I'm just at the end of my rope and can't afford to see a dr to get help. Thank you again for your suggestions as I greatly appreciate it.
    davedsel2 replied to abaker1015's response:
    Have you tried heat? Usually if ice does not help heat may. Same application - 20 on / 20 off.

    Maybe you could search for a free or low-cost clinic in your area. At least get some help with pain medication of some type. Also, many large hospitals have teaching programs and offer services to the public at a reduced rate.

    How about Medicaid for you? You may be eligible.

    I will continue to pray that you can get the treatment and relief you need.
    Please click on my username or avatar picture to read my story.


    abaker1015 replied to davedsel2's response:
    Thx, I have been doing both heat and ice. I did buy icey/hot patches and apiece. Still no relief, it has to go away at some point it usually does.
    dollbug responded:
    Hello abaker. MiMi in NC and I normally post on the Fibromyalgia community....I sometimes visit other communities here though and read posts. I wanted to tell you that I also went through a bout of lower back pain and I finally found something that worked for me. I am a grandmother and I no longer work but I can feel your pain. Back pain is no fun....actually any kind of pain is no fun.

    I tried P5P which is found at a vitamin store and I take one capsule daily after breakfast. I have been on these since April of last year and as long as I remember to take the capsule every 24 hours then the majority of my lower back pain eases so that I can function. P5P is a processed form of Vitamin B 6 and you can google it and read about it. I spoke to the man at the vitamin store about taking it and he told me that IF I took the first bottle and it did nothing to help me than I could forget taking it. I was quite shocked when it started working within 2 weeks of me starting it. It seems some people can NOT process the Vitamin B 6 which we normally get through what we eat.

    I do not know if you take vitamins and supplements but I would also encourage you to be sure and ask your doctor to check your Vitamin D level. Low Vitamin D can cause some people to have additional pain and it can also affect other illnesses as well.

    Take care and good luck.


    Helpful Tips

    Making the Most of Your Doctor Visit #2Expert
    Here are the rest of the suggestions (had to break into to two parts due to the character limits) 5. Make sure that all records ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    39 of 54 found this helpful

    Related Drug Reviews

    • Drug Name User Reviews

    Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

    FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

    For more information, visit the Duke Health Spine Center