Skip to content
Warfarin and lower back pain
dureya posted:
currently taking warfarin, its been six months i suffered a P.E and now experiencing extreme lower back pain I cant seem to shake. I'm 52 yrs old and a contractor with big schedule oncoming. need to start recovery any suggestions?

Take the Poll

anyone experienced back pain while taking warfarin?
  • clots are gone possibly time to stop medication
  • tried ibuprofen and rest still extreme pain
vote
View Poll Results

davedsel2 responded:
Hello and welcome.

I've been managing moderate to severe chronic pain from serious spinal problems for over 35 years. In April 1997 I got a huge DVT (blood clot) in my left leg. Was hospitalized for 5 days, and on the first night back home part of the DVT broke off and went to my lung causing a PE (pulmonary embolism - blood clot in lung). A greenfield filter was surgically inserted and I have been on warfarin (currently 11 mg per day) since.

This is something you really need to discuss with your doctor. No doctor replies to the posts in this WebMD Back Pain Community. I was told that due to the filter I would be on some type of anticoagulant for the rest of my life. New medications are coming on the market that do the same thing as warfarin, but I don't trust them personally.

I can also tell you that my doctors and research have told me that it can take as long as a year for the clot to be absorbed by the body and gone. This is a very serious medical condition and should not be rushed for any reason. Since you have had one PE, you are at high risk for developing another.

Again, please discuss all this with your doctor asap. Come back and update us when you can.

I pray you can find answers and a resolution soon.
Please click on my username or avatar picture to read my story.

Blessings,

-Dave

Helpful Tips

Steps For Getting Back Pain Diagnosed And Treated
Many people come to this WebMD Back Pain Community looking for help in getting a diagnosis of a cause and relief from their back pain. Most ... More
Was this Helpful?
218 of 335 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Spine Center