Skip to content
Drs. comments can be so discouraging
mona717 posted:
Hi Everyone,
I am normally a pretty positive person - at least I try to be. I have so much to be thankful for: wonderful people in my life, love, good friends, pets that comfort and make me laugh, a comfortable home and surroundings, and most of all a God who never leaves me. However, being human - once in awhile I get a little down. I'm experiencing that lately. First it was a physical therapist that notified me by email that I was being terminated because my severe pain episodes that cause me to fall and pass out were a liability to the therapy company. They knew that I had these episodes when I started with them and they accepted me anyhow, but suddenly I was tabbou. The latest thing that has happened is that I am experiencing very extreme and heavy sweats several times a day. Some of my drs. feel this "may" be from my Fentanyl patch that I have been taking for a few years now. I suggested to my dr. that I try to come off of the patch and instead, increase my daily morphine (ER and/or IR). She thought that was a good idea and I started this a little over a week ago now. But, my pain level has increased some and I advised her of this via email, which is how she likes to stay in contact with patients between appts. I told her in the email that I was confused by the morphine dosage that she asked me to take and that I thought I had misunderstood what she advised me to take. Initially I took 30 mg of Morphine Sulfate 4 times a day, which equals 120 mg in 24 hours. The "new" regimen she put me on was taking 60 mg of Morphine sulfate twice a day which equals 120 mg in 24 hours. So, even though the timing is different, the total mgs. are the same for 24 hours. My dr. responded in her email back to me that she would discuss this with me at our next appt. in another week, but until then to go back to my old regimen. But what got me was when she added that she doesn't think it will make much difference anyhow and that she thinks nothing will work for me. How discouraging is that??? She is a nice person and a good dr. and has helped me alot over the years and I trust her - but maybe that is why her comment hurts. So many other drs. and hospitals and facilities have told me there is nothing to be done to help me that I am not already trying. All wish me well, but send me on my way. I have tried traditional and non-traditional treatments. I have a Spinal Cord Stimulator implanted in my spine. The pump implant has not been recommended for me due to several problems with it - per my neurosurgeon whom I trust completely. Any words of encouragement from anyone? Why do the statments of others impact us so much when we are so vulnerable? Why don't people think about the impact of their words on others, or if they mis-speak, as all of us do sometimes, at least say - I'm sorry. Signed - Mona717, not having a good day.

bj1208 responded:
Hi Mona -

yes they can be that way - and I sum it all up to either they are starting to not care and/or they had a bad day and should have waited maybe a couple of hours to respond. You know the routine - wait til you calm down before responding to negative remarks etc.

I would like to ask on the morphine - is this immediate release or extended release?

I know I have been on the same dosage of morphine extended release since 2009 and that is 60mg 4XDaily. yep 240mg a day and it doesn't even touch the pains - even when I was in hospital out of surgery all they gave me in a pump was morphine - not sure of dosage and even told the doc that I thought I was having withdrawals from oxycodone. this was before realizing my IV had come out of the vein and all the meds were going into tissue - so I was correct in this - they should have known something was up as I came to I was crying and screaming in recovery and they had to move me to my room ASAP - oh yes I made complaint to doc, PA and also hospital. I did get call and letter from hospital saying the usual blah blah blah. and I swore I would never go there again but alas my myelogram is scheduled there.

At my last PA visit, which I had been discussing with her over several months, was to switch my oxy to dalidids to see if that would help with my breakthru pains - she stated to let her know how I was doing on them and if needed she could either mail another script adding a couple more mg's to it or putting me back on the oxy's.

NOPE - not in the least - this med didn't even touch my pains - I have been crying and in bed since I had this filled last wednesday. So I called last friday - she was out and I spoke to her nurse - which I've never met (always have interns doing BP etc) and I hate talking to this nurse - so she said she would talk to Donna on monday and let me know.

So I finally get a call back - they cannot go up on the mg's on dalidids?? I'm not familiar with this med so don't know anything about it. and my PA said to bring in the bottle and they would write a script pill-for-pill. So I'm confused. I cannot go til Thursday (don't have car/have to use daughters') as this is day she has mornings off.

So I fully understand how you are feeling. Being told one thing only to have it change. It's bad enough that I have to drive 30 minutes to get to clinic - hand in bottle, watch as they count pills and add remaining days to make sure it equals out then get script for 7 day supply. yea my next appt is 3/12 so have to repeat this next week and I wouldn't be surprised if they do a UA on me either this week or next week - they do them every 6 months but I forget when it happens - I've never had to worry.

Oh well here I go with a long story, LOL

keep ur chin up~~I try but dang I've gone thru a lot of toilet paper blowing my nose and dabbing at my eyes~~
~~ Click on my name or picture and read my story ~~
~~ Joy ~~

mona717 replied to bj1208's response:
Good Morning bj1208,
I'm so sorry that you are going through this. I haven't been part of our little group for very long, but I always feel like you add so much to others by your input and comments. Thank you for that. To answer your question re: what type of Morphine I take: I take 60 mg Morphine Sulfate ER twice daily for maintenance and then add 15 mg Morphine Sulfate ER at the rate of 1-2 tabs. every 4 hours for breakthrough pain and also 15 mg of Morphine Sulfate IR at the rate of 1-2 tabs. every 4 hrs. for breakthrough pain also. Then I also take Oxycodone/Apap 10/325 at the rate of 1-2 tabs every 4 hrs. for breakthrough pain, and 2mg of Tizanidine (Zanaflex) for muscle spasams at the rate of 1-2 tabs. every 6 hrs. and Lyrica 150mg at the rate of 1 tab. three times a day for nerve pain and the Fentanyl patch 75 mcg which I am trying to titrate off of so I currently change the patch every 4 days instead of the usual every 3 days. I'm titrating off of Fentanyl because of very extreme sweats that happen 4-15 times a day/night. Alot of pain meds. to take daily. They used to work much better then they do now. Take care bj and I hope that your pain is much less today. All the best, Mona717

bj1208 replied to mona717's response:
Hey Mona -

Thanks for the compliment - means a lot to me and to the other members - I have to say I've learned a lot from Dave and the long lost old members we used to have years ago - We've lost quite a few members and I can remember one year it was just Dave and I responding to questions etc. We also used to have actual doctors to help but one by one they would disappear.

I just wanted to make a statement - I think you are taking a lot of tylenol in the oxy/Apap. I was on this for almost 2 yrs (2006-2008) going thru 120 tabs in 2 weeks time!!! stupid doc just kept refilling it. but anyway - make sure if you also take ibuprofen that you add up the amount of tylenol mg's and also the ibuprofen mg's and don't go over 3500 to 4000 mg's a day. This med is really really hard on liver and kidneys. they do make a 10mg one that does not have any tylenol or ibuprofen in it. so you may want to ask about that one.

then switched to morphine sulfate ER (60mg 4Xdaily) actually started out at 2 tabs a day then 3 and now 4 - they had me on oxy 15mg IR taking 6 a day and switched it to 30mg 4Xdaily -

I'm just wondering if you are having a reaction from all the meds you are taking. The sweats etc. Morphine does cause this as with the other pain meds. I've noticed an increase in sweats for me too but not like what you are having. I can honestly say as I'm getting older (53) that meds I've been on for yrs that I'm starting to have reactions to. like muscle relaxers making me sleep walk!! strange and funny too - hubby would wake me up and ask what I was doing - I would be walking around the bed going back and forth. and I would be soaked in sweats.

Oh another thought too is I've had too many surgeons tell me that taking too many pain meds can actually make the pains worst. ask your doc about that and see what they tell you.

Take care~~
~~ Click on my name or picture and read my story ~~
~~ Joy ~~

tuloud54 responded:
So sorry this is happening to you! It is hard to not take personally.Maybe take a copy of your comment above and give it to your dr.I doubt she meant to hurt you anymore than you do.Sounds like she is frustrated and maybe a little angry that she can't do more.She should never take it out on the patient.Daily things we deal with is plenty.Please hang in there.Tom

Helpful Tips

MRI Results of Back Help
Just received my MRI and need to wait 2 weeks for my follow up appointment. Can anyone help me read the results and let me know how serious ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 2 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Spine Center