Skip to content
SSDI Evaluation tomorrow morning
trs1960 posted:
Well tomorrow morning I go for my disability evaluation for my SSDI. I see an old Ortho that worked on my wrist around 30 years ago. I'm nervous, but then I read the definitions of 100% disabled on the Social Security site and it's a no brainier. When I rest up and take care of myself I feel like I should work. Then I go do something simple like a load of dishes and I know I can't work. Like I told my doc yesterday, "I could change a tire if I had to, but I certainly couldn't work in a tire shop!"

Wish me luck...oh I almost forgot a pump update. Pump is good. It helps manage the pain, but I'm certainly not pain free. It allows me to relax and be pain free without having to take oral pain meds. This allows me to do a few things, then relax, do a few things then relax. Of course the more I over do it the longer it takes to recover.

bj1208 responded:
Hi Tim

Will have you in my prayers. I know you have been thru a lot but I believe you will come out ahead with being 100% disabled .

Let us know~~
~~ Click on my name or picture and read my story ~~
~~ Joy ~~

trs1960 responded:
After months days and hours on the phone with one agency or another. While I've been approved by my private insurance as 100% disabled my private LTDI (Long Term Disability Insurance) mandates I apply for SSDI (Social Security Disability Insurance). It saves them money as they carve out every penny I can get from another source. And reduce their payment amount.

It's really important I get approved for SSDI in 2014 as it has a huge effect on my medical insurance. There's a big donut hole out there that needs to be closed. The IRS does not consider insurance such las I described) as benefits received from a policy that was paid with post tax money. Our affordable Healthcare works with the IRS. The insurance benefit is covered under IRS publication 525; no 1099, no W2. Its already been taxed so the IRS doesn't consider it exists get the IRS because I bought the insurance with post tax money. So that puts myself at no income. That's too low to get in the healthcare from the state health exchange. For 2014 I estimated that I would have the SSDI income. This puts me in a good spot getting a good subsidy for my private health insurance. Life is doable. If I don't make SSDI the Health Exchange considers me to have too low of income to buy insurance on the market and refers me to Medicaid. Problem 1. Medicaid sucks and it's all but impossible. Problem 2. Medicaid looks at every penny that comes the household as income so the money that is tax free, only counts with Medicaid and it puts me over the Medicaid limit so I get denied.

Well there's a small window of my last year! I can't wait to be done with this crap so I can start a normal life.

davedsel2 replied to trs1960's response:
Hello, Tim.

You must have the same company handling your LTDI that I did, or they all work the same. After about 2 years they offered me a lump-sum settlement. I negotiated a bit higher dollar amount with them and accepted. They started to require verification from my doctor every 6 months that I was still disabled so the settlement was the best way to go for me.

It is not fair that we have to go through all these hoops once we become disabled to get the benefits we worked for our whole lives and now need and deserve.

I will be praying that this all works out for you.
Please click on my username or avatar picture to read my story.

Blessings,

-Dave

trs1960 replied to davedsel2's response:
Well I'm home. Appointment went well, but I don't know what the doc will report or how SSDI will interpret. I felt like the doc was sympathetic to me and agreed I was lucky to have a wide spinal canal or I certainly would have been paralyzed.

More wait and see and take a Xanax to handle the stress and anxiety!

Dave, was the lump sum independent of SSDI. What if you started to tinker and they found out you were making a little cash? How many years pay was the lump sum equivalent to?

Thanks to all

bj1208 replied to trs1960's response:
Hey Tim

Glad.things went well. Thought us let you know how they figure your SSDI. They take the last 5 highest annual salaries that were reported. Not sure what the math is from that point. I do know I had 18 months back pay and rec'd $30,000 and that was after paying the cap if $5,500 something to my attorney. Once you reach retirement age it changes over to SS same pay.

All in all not bad.

I.don't know how they would react to making cash on side unless the people paying gives u a 1099 at the end.of.the year.

Hopefully Dave has more input. Later
~~ Joy ~~

davedsel2 replied to trs1960's response:
Yes, the lump sum from the LTDI company was independent of SSDI. The time period was for about 10 years - I was 55 at the time and the LTDI benefits would have stopped on my 65th birthday. I had done my own research and calculations and was able to negotiate a figure a good amount higher then their initial offer.

They initiated the process and it did work out beneficial for all parties.

As long as the doctor today states that you can no longer work due to your condition, then the SSA should decide in your favor. I will continue to pray. Looking forward to a good update from you soon.
Please click on my username or avatar picture to read my story.

Blessings,

-Dave

trs1960 replied to davedsel2's response:
I believe it's like my doc said, "a no brainier" but you just never know.

Joy it doesn't matter what I get from SSDI my private insurance co gets it all. I just need the finding to allow me enough taxable income to be in the right place for my State's Health Exchange.

My youngest daughter will receive money though and they can't touch that.

I already know all of the amounts. I hope we can sock her money away for a college fund!

T

tuloud54 replied to trs1960's response:
God sees you my friend! Glad the pump is helping.Mine is almost adjusted where I need it.Took 18 months but hopefully yours will take less time!Painfree is a word I never use anymore.I do take 900mg Neurontin and 60mg Cymbalta.I hope your ssdi comes quickly.The gov't is processing so many more ssdi claims.People file who get fired or can't find work and that is not what it is for.It's for people like you who actually can nt work. When I we.nt in front of th for pain.e judge, I had no idea if she heard what I was saying or not.Letter of approval came 4 weeks later.I cried more then I ever have in my entire life. I needed this to live. They always say save 6 months salary but what to do when 3 times that was put away for my future.Thought I did the right thing but I never saw this pain coming. I am grateful the govt was there to protect me. Pray this will come quickly and you will be done with that part. The main thing is you are getting some help with the pump and it will only get better from here. I think it has taken so long to adjust mine because I always want I need but not a drop more. My dr now is great and lets me know he will be there and we will get it right.Stay positive and appreciate what you do have.God speed for you and your family.Stay safe Tom

trs1960 replied to tuloud54's response:
Thank you Toloud. I don't expect to ever be pain free, but I would like to be able to manage my pain without the need of oral opiads. I think that's possible. I'm doing it now, but I think the pain level is too high to be active by any sort of the word. If I do nothing and just sit in my recliner I can be almost pain free, but that's not living and I will only gain weight and become more unhealthy. I will say that my doc is really working with me with the pump adjustments. After surgery I gained weight sitting for days on end making endless phone calls. Last week he got mad at me for the weight gain. He told me, "you know better!" I promised a 5lb loss before our next visit. He's right. I know that for every 10lbs of weight gain you add 100lbs of stress to your spine.

Well I'm completing much of my busy work, got my insurance in place and have been active working around the house. I hurt like hell, but it feels good to be accomplishing things a little at a time

I can see a place where I could manage pain and stop have a productive hobby and help around the house.

T

bj1208 replied to lakid1's response:
Hi and welcome to the support group.

Its against WEBMD's guidelines to refer people to doctors/hospitals etc.

Best thing us to see if there us a PHYSIATRIST Pain Doctor. You can use the search engine at the top of this page: doctors

Just enter the info and it should give you a list. If there is a University Hospital near you may be able to find one there.

I do hope you can find one closer. Please keep us posted.
~~ Joy ~~

trs1960 replied to bj1208's response:
Did I ever tell you how much I hate fentanyl? I know it's Necessary in som instances. I am administered it IV for procedures. Long term use of fentanyl patches for chronic pain I'd a miss-application and I don't believe it's intended use is long term pain. It's end of life comfort

Hopefully the moderators well remove the replays that detract from the original content.

I reported 3 posts the other night and noticed they were gone the next day.

I used to moderate a few boards and it's a lot of work!!!

T

Helpful Tips

Making the Most of Your Doctor Visit #2Expert
Here are the rest of the suggestions (had to break into to two parts due to the character limits) 5. Make sure that all records ... More
Was this Helpful?
27 of 41 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Spine Center