Skip to content


    Exciting News for WebMD Members!

    We've been busy behind the scenes building new message boards for you. You'll have new and easier ways to find messages, connect with others, and share your stories.

    And, this will all be available on your smartphone or other mobile device!

    What Do You Need to Do?

    The message board you're used to will be closing in the coming weeks. While many of your boards will be making the move to our new home, your posts will not. Want to keep a discussion going? Save posts you want to continue (this includes your member profile story), so that you can re-post them in the new message boards.

    Keep an eye here and on your email inbox, we'll be back in touch soon to give you all the information you need!

    Yours in health,
    WebMD Message Boards Management

    My back pain is affecting my push ups, why?
    mayday_217 posted:
    I have been in alot of pain over the last year or so due to my back. I had consulted my doctor about 3 years ago about back pain and was told I was "fine." Finally a year ago I went in with leg numbness and weakness and they gave me an MRI in which showed I had degenerative disc disease, ( bulging, herniated and disintegrated discs) and nerves in my spine were being compressed causing the numbness.
    I did over 6 month of physical therapy only to get worse. I was told I need to exercise but alot of my "Approved" exercises still cause me pain.
    I have been cleared to perform push ups but my back along with my leg experience pain while doing them, when I confronted my doctor I was told my back would NOT affect my push up perforamce and that it was all in my head basically?
    I know when I'm im pain, is there any reason why my back would hurt while performing push ups?
    trs1960 responded:
    I can't even type what im thinking!

    Only you feel the pain. You will know when your care provider is really looking out for you are just doing what the book says.

    90 days of continuous pain is by definition chronic. Things start to change at this point and while PT and core strength are important, it's considered a milestone to change treatment techniques from the acute injury to the chronic pain itself.

    bj1208 responded:
    Hi and welcome to the support group

    Please stop doing any exercises until you can be examines by the right kind of doctor especially with the results of your MRI. Doing this may cause more damage to your spine. Doing any exercises that cause pains should not be done? And you should not have been cleared to do so.

    What type of doc did you see about your back? When dealing with spine issues its best to see a spine specialist either Orthopedic or Neurosurgeon Spine Specialist. They are the only ones that can read film reports and give you an accurate diagnosis and upon examination will let you know what treatment plans are.

    Having Degenerative Disc Disease and bulging/herniated disc(s) that are pressing on nerve roots causing leg pains and numbness is a matter that needs to be addressed as soon as possible so that treatments (there are many more besides physical therapy) can begin to help with your spine issues.

    I don't know what type of doc you saw saying it is all in your head etc but I would find another doc and get in to see a spine specialist

    Please keep us posted what you find out. Take care
    ~~ Click on my name or picture and read my story ~~
    ~~ Joy ~~
    bj1208 replied to trs1960's response:
    Please ignore the response post from Alynthiamed as this person has been advertising on these message boards without approval. Plus this person is directly diagnosing and advising such without knowledge of you and.your health. This is strictly forbidden on these boards.
    ~~ Click on my name or picture and read my story ~~
    ~~ Joy ~~

    Helpful Tips

    Ice works wonders More
    Was this Helpful?
    1 of 4 found this helpful

    Related Drug Reviews

    • Drug Name User Reviews

    Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

    FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

    For more information, visit the Duke Health Spine Center