Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Thoracic Back Surgery- Problems After- Pain sensitivity arms
mpmmom posted:
My husband had a laminectomy in the T1-T3 and had a ligament removed. When he came out of surgery, you cannot touch him on any of his upper arms, chest, or back. In the hospital, the remote slid down the bed beside him and he yelled in pain like he was getting stabbed. Does anyone have any answers to why this is happening or when/how long it will take to improve. We are on day 3 and I haven't seen any improvement. The surgery said it was PROBABLY where the nerves were upset. I need to know more about the possible causes, duration, etc instead of a probably. Any help or suggestion is appreciated.

bj1208 responded:
Hi and welcome to the support group

Unfortunately we cannot.offer any types of diagnosis as we are not.physicians but rather lay.people who suffer from spine issues.

I think what you should do is corner your husband surgeon and show him how bad this is and what areas it affects. I do know from my recent back operation (Dec 2013) that nerve endings in the back can take a while to heal themselves. I'm still having some issues with mine. I would ask the surgeon if maybe putting your husband on Gabapentin might help as this med is approved to help nerve issues.

If you don't get a good response from the surgeon it might be time to look at hospital head honchos to make a report . They should be making your husband as.comfy as possible. Stand on your feet and get answers.

Hope and pray he gets better. Keep us posted.
~~ Click on my name or picture and read my story ~~
~~ Joy ~~

trs1960 replied to bj1208's response:
Weird, I have the opposite. My back feels like I'm wearing two wet suits.

I agree with Joy completely and would only add the hospital neurologist should seen him too!

Tim

undefined responded:
Hi I had multiple surgeries not pleasant...it can be a long road for recovery...i was fused from t3 to t11 with stabilization. Rods...surgery was unsuccessful developed post op kyphosis..then was fused from t12 to l3 ,2 day surgery...painful recovery...rehab and physical therapy will help, and maybe see pain management....you have to remember they cut through muscle fat and nerves to get to the spine...most of the time scar tissue and your nerves and stiffness cause these issues...

trs1960 replied to 17520048's response:
Pretty much the same story, except my spinal column was crushed 3.5 inches. Spinous process were broken, lung collapsed with 8 ribs broken and a subdural hematoma to help me forget. 50% of my blood internally.

I don't look at the damage, I look at the miracle that I'm alive and walking.

...and I know my story is not nearly the worst in here.

Tim

Helpful Tips

Try water therapy
I also have had surgery for L5S1,protruding disc for sciatic pain. Everything was fine for a year. Then the pain came back and the doctor ... More
Was this Helpful?
18 of 28 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Spine Center