Skip to content
Stimulator side effect
cherylene19 posted:
I just had my sbs reput back in a month ago. The first time my back surgeon put it in it only lasted less then a month and it was not helping at all. He finally took the special X-ray in his office. The lead on the left of my spine had bent all the way over like a Y but even further. The pain management doctor who did the trial on me told the back surgeon I needed paddles in to hold it in place. I went in to the first surgery thinking that is what he was doing. Just as I'm coming out of recovery he tells me he decided not to do that. Well I'm still druggy from surgery so I didn't say anything. Now after second surgery he used longer leads and used the paddles which anchors them down so there not suppose to move. Problem now when I use the stimulator for my lower back I'm getting really bad cramping in all my ribs. Not sure what to do. I think my doctor is a quack. Any advice would help. Thank you so much.

trs1960 responded:
=[:-O

It's kinda hard to switch docs while in post op, but it sounds like your surgeon thinks he knows too much!

Wisdom is knowing what you don't know.

We let them put us under and put our lives in their hands and he punts?

Ok, enough venting, my advice is to start a pain log and make entries at least 3-4 times a day and capture each significant event. Write down your concerns and take it all with you to your next appointment.

If he won't listen try and find a new doc!

I say this because it happened to me. I was really doing badly, I studied my X-rays I studied anatomy (spine) I had my massage therapist circle with a sharpie the hot spots of pain before I went to my appointment.

I get to the exam room, layout the X-rays and pictures of what I thought were relevant anatomy. I take off my shirt so he can see the hot spots. He comes in, glances around the room and smirks. I told Him I wasn't trying to play doctor, I just needed to communicate with him the best way possible. The pain was killing me...well he never gave my material a look and sent me away on fentanyl patches. If the pain didn't kill me the fentanyl nearly did...twice!

I changed doctors and we realized the spots I had circled were the hardware screw heads sticking into muscles. By then (8 years) the hardware could be removed.

Bad doctors are out there, I don't know anything about yours, but keep your eyes wide open. It's your body and if he won't listen to you how can he help?

Best wishes,

Tim

cherylene19 replied to trs1960's response:
Thank you so much Tim for writing me back. I'm going to get a copy of my spine X-ray because I have so many screws and plates in there even the X-ray techs can't believe it. Then I will study the spine so I can go to my next appt. prepared and see what the doctors reaction is. Good luck to you and thanks again, Cheryl

trs1960 replied to cherylene19's response:
Good luck to you

Helpful Tips

Strech
streching every hour helps More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 5 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Spine Center