Skip to content


    Exciting News for WebMD Members!

    We've been busy behind the scenes building new message boards for you. You'll have new and easier ways to find messages, connect with others, and share your stories.

    And, this will all be available on your smartphone or other mobile device!

    What Do You Need to Do?

    The message board you're used to will be closing in the coming weeks. While many of your boards will be making the move to our new home, your posts will not. Want to keep a discussion going? Save posts you want to continue (this includes your member profile story), so that you can re-post them in the new message boards.

    Keep an eye here and on your email inbox, we'll be back in touch soon to give you all the information you need!

    Yours in health,
    WebMD Message Boards Management

    lower back pain
    aburns80 posted:
    Been here before. Since I have tried therapy for pain (degenerative joint disease and slight scoliosis). Now Doc. Wants me to try yoga. He does not like the injections..says they cause more scar tissue and thus more pain. Some of the discs are loosing fluid. Unable to stand or sit for long periods. No MRI ordered yet. Is there anything I can try? I almost feel like I am a whiner in his view.
    mariajohnson responded:
    I think yoga and exercise would be best to help you relieve pain.
    trs1960 responded:
    What type of doc are you seeing? How long has it hurt? What type of injections? Who diagnosed degenerative disease? How did they determine such? Why won't they order an MRI?

    We can't diagnose nor prescribe treatment. To do so over the internet is dangerous.

    We walk a fine line and suggest empirically what may be a good idea or suggest what you should ask your docs.

    terrye responded:
    georgia888 responded:
    If your doctor agrees, please try water therapy. My issues include fibromyalgia, spinal stenosis, & osteoarthritis (moderate-to-severe) in the spine & hip and the pool at the gym has been my best medicine.
    trs1960 replied to georgia888's response:
    But without an MRI how can they gage the risk?

    bj1208 replied to trs1960's response:
    I agree with Tim (TRS1960)

    Without and MRI or CT Scan how can your doc give you an accurate diagnosis?

    It's best that you see either a Orthopedic or Neurosurgeon Spine Specialist. They are the only ones that can read film reports (X-ray, MRI, CT Scan etc) accurately to give proper diagnosis.

    I would be leary of a doc that does not order this but rather has you do other types of treatments. How does he/she know what's going on with the spine and if other treatments cause more spine problems?

    I think I would be searching for another doc and make sure they are a spine specialist. You need to know exactly what's going on with your spine.

    Please keep us posted~~
    ~~ Click on my name or picture and read my story ~~
    ~~ Joy ~~
    aburns80 replied to bj1208's response:
    Thanks for suggestions. I have been afraid to change md because I hear so much about people changing md and do not want to be accused of shopping. I will have to see if I can find a specialist.
    trs1960 replied to aburns80's response:
    There's a difference between shopping and protecting your life! Now I don't know if he's wrong, but as Joy picked up, I would not contort my spine attempting salutations to the sun, if I possibly already had a ruptured or herniated disc?


    Helpful Tips

    Making the Most of Your Doctor Visit #2Expert
    Here are the rest of the suggestions (had to break into to two parts due to the character limits) 5. Make sure that all records ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    39 of 54 found this helpful

    Related Drug Reviews

    • Drug Name User Reviews

    Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

    FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

    For more information, visit the Duke Health Spine Center