Skip to content
Back pain and swelling
An_257664 posted:
The middle right side of my back is hurting. Feels like somebody hit me 10 times in the same spot. I had my mom look at it to see if it was bruised or anything and she said it's pretty swollen. Im just confused because I haven't done anything to it. Does anyone have an idea what could be wrong or the cause of this? It would be greatly appreciated for any input. Thank you

davedsel2 responded:
The best input we can give you here if for you to see a doctor asap. We can't diagnose or give medical advice in any WebMD community.
Please click on my username or avatar picture to read my story.

Blessings,

-Dave

bj1208 responded:
Dave is right - if it's swollen and hurts you do need to see a doc ASAP.

We are a support group and cannot diagnose anyone, per WEBMD's guidelines.

I can tell you that if the muscle is swollen it may be protecting something deeper in your back or you could have strained your muscle.

Your doc will ask questions such as: Are you active in any type of sports? When you were younger did you hurt your back at anytime (your parents may remember).

Try to think if there is anything that you may have done - even sleeping wrong can sometimes cause muscles to spasm.

Please let us know what you find out.
~~ Click on my name or picture and read my story ~~
~~ Joy ~~

katiebug13 replied to davedsel2's response:

katiebug13 posted:Thank you guys so much for the replies. I called an on call nurse and she didn't seem to be too concerned since I don't have any other symptoms. She told me to give it a week or two and if it's not better go to the doctor. If it were a muscle wouldn't I be able to tell with a pulled muscle I can do any activity and it not bother me. The only time it hurts is when touched or leaned up against a chair. Also the way to describe the pain is like a bad bruise. But it's not discolored, just swollen. Weird thing is I haven't done anything to it! But who knows it could be something very minor I was just making sure it wasn't anything to be too concerned about guess I'll wait my week or 2 and if it's not better go see my doctor. I want to thank you both for replying to my message it's deff. Appreciated

katiebug13 replied to bj1208's response:

katiebug13 posted:Thank you guys so much for the replies. I called an on call nurse and she didn't seem to be too concerned since I don't have any other symptoms. She told me to give it a week or two and if it's not better go to the doctor. If it were a muscle wouldn't I be able to tell with a pulled muscle I can do any activity and it not bother me. The only time it hurts is when touched or leaned up against a chair. Also the way to describe the pain is like a bad bruise. But it's not discolored, just swollen. Weird thing is I haven't done anything to it! But who knows it could be something very minor I was just making sure it wasn't anything to be too concerned about guess I'll wait my week or 2 and if it's not better go see my doctor. I want to thank you both for replying to my message it's deff. Appreciated

Helpful Tips

Making the Most of Your Doctor Visit #2Expert
Here are the rest of the suggestions (had to break into to two parts due to the character limits) 5. Make sure that all records ... More
Was this Helpful?
29 of 43 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Spine Center