Skip to content
Severe degenerative changes in both hips
homecntmm posted:
I have been fighting back pain for the last 7 yrs I am a salesman and I am on my feet for 7 hours a day. My hips are killing me. I took an MRI and it says I have Severe degenerative changes in both hips. Im at a lost. The doctor says Im to young to have surgery. Im 38...and the medication im taking is making me better but im still in pain. I can stand about an hour before pain starts. My question is should I apply for long term disability from my job, or should I apply for SSI, or should I pursue another doctors and demand surgery Thanks
davedsel2 responded:
Hello and welcome. I am sorry you are going through this and fully understand.

Your best course of action would be to get another opinion from another spinal orthopedic surgeon and/or a spinal neurosurgeon. Also, find a good pain management specialist that is a physiatrist to help you manage your pain.

Applying for Social Security Disability, or even long term disability from your job, will require a doctor documenting clearly that your condition will last for more than one year, has lasted for one year or more, and prevents you from doing the type of work you have been doing. It is a very complex process and you should contract an attorney that specializes in disability cases to assist you in this process.

You can also consider changing careers to something involving less standing.

I pray you can find answers and relief soon.
Please click on my username or avatar picture to read my story.


homecntmm responded:
Thank you

Helpful Tips

Acupuncture helps
Both acupuncture and cups do great in pain management. More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 2 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

  • Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Spine Center