Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Just an update ~~
bj1208 posted:
Hi everyone - hope you all are doing well and are enjoying the end of Spring beginning of Summer -

This Tuesday (June 24th) I get to go in and have t he EMG and Nerve Conduction Test done - OH BOY WHAT FUN~~~

This will be good as I can take the results and previous results with me when I go see the Neurosurgeon at the university hospital for my 2nd opinion t he next day Wednesday (June 25th).

I'm getting anxious as the time gets closer.

On another note - my hubby, Tim, has been out of town working in New Orleans. He's working on a new addition to the hospital that is next to the dome where people were stranded during the hurricane . He's been gone for 1 1/2 weeks now and will be coming home on the 28th for kinda vacation for the 4th of July. They want him to come back but he doesn't know if he will.

Our pool is finally ready to get in - we've had such strange weather before Memorial Day and even after that - temps in the 70's during the day and low 60's upper 50's at nite - felt like fall time - pool was almost ready to get in then the temp dropped down to 75 degrees and it was cold!!!

I just checked it and it's 80-81 so I'm getting in this afternoon!!! be good for my back - can't wait.

hope everyone is doing well and has low pains (darn heat and humidity always plays with our pains!!)
~~ Click on my name or picture and read my story ~~
~~ Joy ~~

davedsel2 responded:
Hi, Joy.

I will be praying for your procedure.

The weather here in Western New York has been pretty nice - some rain, but temps in the 70's during the day.

I am having epidural steroid injections on 7/1. He will focus on my worst areas - T12/L1 and maybe L4/L5 also where there is a new herniation. He will try to get enough in to help my hip pain as well. If these work, he wants to try a rhizotomy. We'll see how it all goes.
Please click on my username or avatar picture to read my story.

Blessings,

-Dave

bj1208 replied to davedsel2's response:
Hi Dave

I'm glad your getting treatments and hope and pray they will help. It makes all the difference when you find the right doctor that will do the treatments the right way. Meaning he will try one and if it doesn't work will try another approach.

In the past when I was going from one clinic to another it seemed they all wanted to do injections and if the first didn't work they would do another one saying sometimes it takes a couple of injections to know if its going to work. So I'm glad I'm seeing a good doctor now. It really makes all the difference.

will be praying for you that the injection will help.

hope you and you wife are doing well ~~ take care
~~ Joy ~~

debs_bears responded:
Hi Joy and Dave, I will put you both on my prayer list.

Joy I am glad that you can have this done and have the results of the past one to compare notes with. And your 2nd opinion appt. is finally here I bet you never thought it would get here. Enjoy that pool and your husband when he comes home.

Dave I will pray that the injections give you some relief.
It is my prayer that you have a Blessed Day in all that you do. ~~~Debbie~~~

bj1208 replied to debs_bears's response:
Hey everyone -

Well here is my update thus far:

Had the EMG & Nerve Conduction Test done yesterday - here are the results:

Evaluation of the Left peroneal motor nerve showed reduced amplitude (2.3 mV). The Right superficial peroneal sensory nerve showed no response (14 cm). The Right sural sensory nerve showed no response (Calf)> All remaining nerves (as indicated in the following tables) were within normal limits.

Needle Evaluation of the Left extensor hallucis longus, the Left peroneus longus, the Right extensor hallucis longus, and the Right peroneus longus muscles showed slightly increased polyphasic potentials. All remaining muscles (as indicated in the following t able) showed no evidence of electrical instability.

Boy that's a mouthful!!! LOL - the impression is :

There is evidence of chronic L5-S1 radiculopathy bilaterally with no acute findings. There is also evidence of sensory neuropathy in right lower extremity.

So most of you know that the Nerve Conduction Test part is where they tape a round disk to certain areas of your ankle/knee and then with an electronic devise with 2 long steel stems they press this onto different areas and give a shock. The entire ti me he is looking at the computer and adjusting the sensitivity until the desired amount is logged. I felt the majority of this but it's the amount being sent to the nerves that is vital to the end result.

When he was done with this I happened to mention how numb I was and showed him. so he took something that looked like a thumb tack and started poking me asking if I felt it - boy was that a surprise as I didn't feel it!!

So the next part is the EMG test where a needle is inserted into different areas. When he was doing this to the lower parts of my leg (knee down) I didn't feel the needle or any electric jolt but when he put the needle into my thigh area I said "OUCH OUCH OUCH OUCH" as I flet that.

So It means my L5-S1 is still causing problems.

Now as for today's visit with the surgeon for 2nd opinion~~~~

I had everything in my folder - all the written reports along with the CD's and this EMG test and one done a couple years ago. had that laid out to take just in case - and RAN OFF AND FORGOT IT!!! oh darn.

So I get there and complete all the paper work and kept telling them I had brought the discs in last month when I saw their pain doc. They kept looking - all they found was the 25 pages I had faxed earlier!!! They had me go in to have X-ray done and I told the tech I have to stand for it - she said that's fine as there are only 2 views they are doing - flex and extension - I had never cried so hard in a long time - my back still hurts from this - I wasn't expecting it but am glad they did it. So will find out results later~~

So the surgeon comes in - I answered her questions and she asked about CD's and I told her what happend when I saw the pain doc - she said they would not have given the CD's back after the appt as it takes them a good 24 hours to upload the info and they mail them back~~~~ So now I have to make a trip out there tomorrow to drop off the discs - ugh. oh well she'll be able to review them and call me back in for another visit!!

So that's my update thus far - hopefully she will call me in next week and go over everything - but one thing she did say is she is for pain pumps for chronic pains!!! That's good news~~

Hope you all have a low pain day -
~~ Joy ~~

bj1208 replied to bj1208's response:
Hey everyone

just wanted to give you all an update.

7/9 I saw my pain doc as hadn't seen him since 9/2013 so it was time for visit and update him.

we went over everything and he asked me to give percentage wise my pains on my back and kegs to total 100%. Hmmm so I thought bout this and told him it was 90% back and 10% legs. He told me that this is why the first SCS trial implant failed that was done 11/08. He said he didn't think I was a candidate for the pain pun implant!!?? Ok so meds are not helping pains so why wouldn't the pump be worth it. He wanted to give me 2 weeks supply free if new med if daladid that us 12 hour acting. I refused only because this med us fairly new and even if it did work I wouldn't be able to afford it being a cash payor (mail receipts in reimbursement). I told him right now I can only afford to pay $300 a month on pain meds. He was surprised I refused this. Oh well.

on to better I see the new spine doc on 7/23 as they finally downloaded all my CD's and she has had time to review them. So will be anxious to see her.

oh yea my pain doc was surprised that my surgeon said there wasn't anything on my myelogram to show where pains are coming from as he saw several items on the written report that does show it!!! Will keep u posted!
~~ Joy ~~

debs_bears replied to bj1208's response:
Hi Joy doesn't sound like you got anywhere with the pain doc. As for Dilaudid that is a form of Morphine it does work on pain but like you said it costs a lot and who can afford it now a days.

I was given it in the hospital and had an allergic reaction to it - that is how I found out it was in the Morphine family I am allergic to Morphine.

You have a few more days then you can see the new spine doc. We will see what he says. Keep us posted.
It is my prayer that you have a Blessed Day in all that you do. ~~~Debbie~~~

Helpful Tips

Making the Most of Your Doctor Visit #2Expert
Here are the rest of the suggestions (had to break into to two parts due to the character limits) 5. Make sure that all records ... More
Was this Helpful?
24 of 38 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Spine Center