Skip to content
Hip Pain
humankimberly posted:
I joined the military 16 years ago and 16 years ago I started having knee pain. Over the years I've seen several doctors and had several x-rays and no one could determine what was wrong. My x-rays all came back normal. I even had a Podiatrist put insoles in my shoes. That hurt a lot.
When I was pregnant I found that my knee stopped hurting but my hip started hurting a lot. And it would "give out" several times a day. It's been 2 years and my hip still hurts. The doctor now tells me that it was my hip all along (making my knee hurt).
I got a steroid shot in one hip. It didn't seem to help much. Then a physical therapist gave me a hip brace belt to wear. It seems to help a lot. She said my hip is loose. My bursas are swollen and very sore to touch. More so behind my hip (upper buttocks/back) is very sore especially when I run. The Physical Therapist said I need to activate my core muscles and it will strengthen my hip area.
Because exercising hurts I got a flewbelt to help strengthen my core. It sends an electronic pulse to my stomach and makes it contract like I'm doing sit-ups. It works great since my while body isn't hurting all at once but I noticed when I feel the contraction in my stomach I also feel a pinch in my upper buttocks (hip) where it's sore after I run. That leads me to wonder if there's a nerve problem. After I use the belt my stomach is sore the way it's supposed to be (like I just worked out) but my hip/buttocks/back area hurts like I just ran.
Can someone tell me if that's normal? Should I feel a muscle contract in my hip as well?
bj1208 responded:
HI and welcome to the support group -

It doesn't sound right - and I think you are seeing the wrong kid of physicians. And I would stop using everything until you have been examined and have an accurate diagnosis.

Because this goes to the buttocks are I would assume that you may have something wrong in the spine area too as this may be the cause of your pains.

I would start by seeing a spine specialist - either Orthopedic or Neurosurgeon Spine Specialist - they will examine you and order tests (X-ray, MRI, CT Scans) and can give you an accurate diagnosis and let you know what treatment options are for you.

Hope this helps - please keep us posted what you find out.
~~ Click on my name or picture and read my story ~~
~~ Joy ~~

Helpful Tips

Acupuncture helps
Both acupuncture and cups do great in pain management. More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 2 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

  • Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Spine Center