Skip to content


    Exciting News for WebMD Members!

    We've been busy behind the scenes building new message boards for you. You'll have new and easier ways to find messages, connect with others, and share your stories.

    And, this will all be available on your smartphone or other mobile device!

    What Do You Need to Do?

    The message board you're used to will be closing in the coming weeks. While many of your boards will be making the move to our new home, your posts will not. Want to keep a discussion going? Save posts you want to continue (this includes your member profile story), so that you can re-post them in the new message boards.

    Keep an eye here and on your email inbox, we'll be back in touch soon to give you all the information you need!

    Yours in health,
    WebMD Message Boards Management

    Spinal Stenosis and Arthritis
    ismerelda posted:
    I have been to an Orthopedist and had an MRI. I have severe stenosis that has given me problems over the years with pain in different areas of my back and hips. Now I am having numbness in the tops of my thighs. This is a new symptom. I also have osteoarthritis in my neck and back. The Ortho offered no help other than steroid shots and therapy both of which have failed me over the years. I am 66, an active person even though I am in pain. I tried water aerobics and they seemed to help at the time. Does anyone have suggestions other than pain meds?
    bj1208 responded:
    Hi and welcome to the support group

    I would suggest getting another opinion from a Neurosurgeon Spine Specialist and also seeing a pain management specialist.

    the Neurosurgeon Spine Specialist may order new tests to be done (MRI, X-Ray etc) if its been more than a year since your last ones. seeing another Spine Specialist will let you know what your diagnosis is and what the best treatment options are.

    I see a PHYSIATRIST Pain Specialist as they go deeper into pain management control based on patients needs. Even though you prefer to handle your pains without pain medication they can help you with this.

    the pain specialist can order tests to determine what us causing the symptoms in your upper legs and offer treatment options.

    please keep us posted what you find out.
    ~~ Click on my name or picture and read my story ~~
    ~~ Joy ~~

    Helpful Tips

    try yoga for sure the positions and stretches help alot. u will feel relief but do not stop just continue doing it More
    Was this Helpful?
    1 of 4 found this helpful

    Related Drug Reviews

    • Drug Name User Reviews

    Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

    FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

    For more information, visit the Duke Health Spine Center