Skip to content
my big toe
dianer01 posted:
I had my L3-S1 fusion in 2007 and since then have done well with minimal problems. I do have numbness in both feet and front of my right leg ever since my first back surgery.

Recently I noticed I can no longer bend my big toe on my right foot. HUH?!

Is this something I should be concerned about? I no longer have a relationship with the surgeon, should I be calling my primary doc or just ask about it next time I am there?

any thoughts?

thanks!
di

trs1960 responded:
I would see a neurologist . The nerves supporting your calves, feet and toes come through that area of your lumbar. If it's getting worse I would go in for a diagnosis as soon as possible. Since it seems to be a nerve issue I would go straight for a neurologist as I mentioned earlier.

At that point of your lumbar in your spine there's no more spinal chord, rather individual nerves look like hairs of a horse's tail. Thus the name "Cuada Equina" which directly translates from Latin to "horses tail"

Best of luck and keep us posted.

Tim

dianer01 replied to trs1960's response:
I'm back...

Well I went to my primary care doc today because my hmo requires him as a first stop.

He is not terribly concerned about not being able to bend my toe but did say we would talk about a nerve conduction test after dealing with my being anemic.

I guess I won't freak out but I will be persistent.

bj1208 replied to dianer01's response:
Hey there - that's so strange that you can't bend your big toe. There are times that my foot will get real numb and sometimes I can't bend any of my toes til most of the numbness subsides. Have you had this happen too? Just wondering.

I didn't see ur post til now so.....

hope you are doing well besides this ~~ oh when is ur appt?? Do you ever hear from Aloha (dang can't think of her name~boy feel foolish). Keep us posted ~~
~~ Click on my name or picture and read my story ~~
~~ Joy ~~

dianer01 replied to bj1208's response:
Hi Joy,

I had the appt today. My toes are always completely numb and I can bend all but the biggie on my right foot. Right leg and foot is where I had most of the nerve damage.Strange part is I had been able to bend the toe until a couple of weeks ago!

So now they are trying to figure out why I am so anemic...might have something to do with buying ibuprofen by the pound...then we will worry more about the toe. I don't have an appt yet. I have to see a gastro doc first.

I don't hear from anyone by email, it has mostly been by the boards....

Hope all is going well with you, I don't take enough time to read and follow everyone's story right now.

di

bj1208 replied to dianer01's response:
Keep us posted ~~ take care
~~ Click on my name or picture and read my story ~~
~~ Joy ~~

Helpful Tips

Spinal fusion
I had lumbar fusion at L 4-5, L5-S1 19 years ago with limited success. I have been disabled because of pain, but I still consider the ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 1 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Spine Center