my big toe
dianer01 posted:
I had my L3-S1 fusion in 2007 and since then have done well with minimal problems. I do have numbness in both feet and front of my right leg ever since my first back surgery.

Recently I noticed I can no longer bend my big toe on my right foot. HUH?!

Is this something I should be concerned about? I no longer have a relationship with the surgeon, should I be calling my primary doc or just ask about it next time I am there?

any thoughts?

thanks!
di

trs1960 responded:
I would see a neurologist . The nerves supporting your calves, feet and toes come through that area of your lumbar. If it's getting worse I would go in for a diagnosis as soon as possible. Since it seems to be a nerve issue I would go straight for a neurologist as I mentioned earlier.

At that point of your lumbar in your spine there's no more spinal chord, rather individual nerves look like hairs of a horse's tail. Thus the name "Cuada Equina" which directly translates from Latin to "horses tail"

Best of luck and keep us posted.

Tim

dianer01 replied to trs1960's response:
I'm back...

Well I went to my primary care doc today because my hmo requires him as a first stop.

He is not terribly concerned about not being able to bend my toe but did say we would talk about a nerve conduction test after dealing with my being anemic.

I guess I won't freak out but I will be persistent.

bj1208 replied to dianer01's response:
Hey there - that's so strange that you can't bend your big toe. There are times that my foot will get real numb and sometimes I can't bend any of my toes til most of the numbness subsides. Have you had this happen too? Just wondering.

I didn't see ur post til now so.....

hope you are doing well besides this ~~ oh when is ur appt?? Do you ever hear from Aloha (dang can't think of her name~boy feel foolish). Keep us posted ~~
~~ Click on my name or picture and read my story ~~
~~ Joy ~~

dianer01 replied to bj1208's response:
Hi Joy,

I had the appt today. My toes are always completely numb and I can bend all but the biggie on my right foot. Right leg and foot is where I had most of the nerve damage.Strange part is I had been able to bend the toe until a couple of weeks ago!

So now they are trying to figure out why I am so anemic...might have something to do with buying ibuprofen by the pound...then we will worry more about the toe. I don't have an appt yet. I have to see a gastro doc first.

I don't hear from anyone by email, it has mostly been by the boards....

Hope all is going well with you, I don't take enough time to read and follow everyone's story right now.

di

bj1208 replied to dianer01's response:
Keep us posted ~~ take care
~~ Click on my name or picture and read my story ~~
~~ Joy ~~