Skip to content
loss of strength in right arm and atrophy in right tricep
An_258106 posted:
I am a coach and was conducting a basketball practice the other day and went to shoot the basketball and couldn't get the ball even halfway to the basket. Recently I had either a pinched nerve or muscle pull in my upper right back that lasted for about three weeks. During this time with the pinched nerve, I would often get numbness down my right arm. I especially felt this at night when I was trying to fall asleep.

After my recent experience where I couldn't get the ball to the basket I noticed that there was atrophy in my right tricep. I am wondering if this was caused by my pinched nerve or muscle pull in my right upper back. Should I be concerned about this sudden loss of strength and atrophy in my right tricep? What can I do to regain strength in my tricep and right arm? The good news is that the pinched nerve pain has pretty much gone away. I hope I haven't done any permanent damage to my right tricep.

trs1960 responded:
First, what or whom do you coach? My daughter will be a senior in high school and has played soccer and basketball for at least half of her life. Thank you for all the time you put in helping others!

Ok, sudden atrophy is a reason for concern. If I were you and I had my choice I would see an orthopedic physiatrist. They're trained to look at the underlying cause and find a solution. Many general practitioners mean well, but tend to treat the effect and not the cause. This masks the cause and in the end makes things worse.

If you go to an orthopedic surgeon he/she may just determine if there is a surgical solution and either decide to cut on you prematurely or send you on your way...neither one being the best solution.

A neurologist may be an alternate solution.

Now that I've said that I'll throw out the caveat that there are exceptions to every rule.

Best of luck and keep us posted,

Tim

philroiko replied to trs1960's response:
I am the head varsity basketball coach of a girls team in Colorado Springs. I also coach golf and track and field. Have been coaching for almost 28 years now. Love working with kids! Thanks for the advice. Since the pain in my upper right back is gone at this time I think I will see what happen sover the course of the next few weeks. I will do some light exercises to see if I can bring back some strength in the right arm/tricep area. Heading to Cancun on Monday for a week of vacation with the family so I will enjoy doing some exercises in the pool and ocean.

Thanks Again,

Phil

trs1960 replied to philroiko's response:
Well you can do 12oz curls in the Cancun pool/bar

Have a great trip. I hope things work out. Please let us know how you're doing when you return from your southern travels

Tim

Helpful Tips

Steps For Getting Back Pain Diagnosed And Treated
Many people come to this WebMD Back Pain Community looking for help in getting a diagnosis of a cause and relief from their back pain. Most ... More
Was this Helpful?
221 of 338 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Spine Center