Skip to content


    Exciting News for WebMD Members!

    We've been busy behind the scenes building new message boards for you. You'll have new and easier ways to find messages, connect with others, and share your stories.

    And, this will all be available on your smartphone or other mobile device!

    What Do You Need to Do?

    The message board you're used to will be closing in the coming weeks. While many of your boards will be making the move to our new home, your posts will not. Want to keep a discussion going? Save posts you want to continue (this includes your member profile story), so that you can re-post them in the new message boards.

    Keep an eye here and on your email inbox, we'll be back in touch soon to give you all the information you need!

    Yours in health,
    WebMD Message Boards Management

    loss of strength in right arm and atrophy in right tricep
    An_258106 posted:
    I am a coach and was conducting a basketball practice the other day and went to shoot the basketball and couldn't get the ball even halfway to the basket. Recently I had either a pinched nerve or muscle pull in my upper right back that lasted for about three weeks. During this time with the pinched nerve, I would often get numbness down my right arm. I especially felt this at night when I was trying to fall asleep.

    After my recent experience where I couldn't get the ball to the basket I noticed that there was atrophy in my right tricep. I am wondering if this was caused by my pinched nerve or muscle pull in my right upper back. Should I be concerned about this sudden loss of strength and atrophy in my right tricep? What can I do to regain strength in my tricep and right arm? The good news is that the pinched nerve pain has pretty much gone away. I hope I haven't done any permanent damage to my right tricep.
    trs1960 responded:
    First, what or whom do you coach? My daughter will be a senior in high school and has played soccer and basketball for at least half of her life. Thank you for all the time you put in helping others!

    Ok, sudden atrophy is a reason for concern. If I were you and I had my choice I would see an orthopedic physiatrist. They're trained to look at the underlying cause and find a solution. Many general practitioners mean well, but tend to treat the effect and not the cause. This masks the cause and in the end makes things worse.

    If you go to an orthopedic surgeon he/she may just determine if there is a surgical solution and either decide to cut on you prematurely or send you on your way...neither one being the best solution.

    A neurologist may be an alternate solution.

    Now that I've said that I'll throw out the caveat that there are exceptions to every rule.

    Best of luck and keep us posted,

    philroiko replied to trs1960's response:
    I am the head varsity basketball coach of a girls team in Colorado Springs. I also coach golf and track and field. Have been coaching for almost 28 years now. Love working with kids! Thanks for the advice. Since the pain in my upper right back is gone at this time I think I will see what happen sover the course of the next few weeks. I will do some light exercises to see if I can bring back some strength in the right arm/tricep area. Heading to Cancun on Monday for a week of vacation with the family so I will enjoy doing some exercises in the pool and ocean.

    Thanks Again,

    trs1960 replied to philroiko's response:
    Well you can do 12oz curls in the Cancun pool/bar

    Have a great trip. I hope things work out. Please let us know how you're doing when you return from your southern travels


    Helpful Tips

    Making the Most of Your Doctor Visit #2Expert
    Here are the rest of the suggestions (had to break into to two parts due to the character limits) 5. Make sure that all records ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    39 of 54 found this helpful

    Related Drug Reviews

    • Drug Name User Reviews

    Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

    FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

    For more information, visit the Duke Health Spine Center