Skip to content
Is swimming advisable with herniated disks?
misschoochoo posted:
I have 3 herniated disks in my low back. As long as I do my daily exercises for flexibility and to keep my core strong, and as long as I move correctly when doing daily chores, I'm fine. I take Meloxicam daily as an anti-inflammatory and for pain for my two knee replacements, and I think that's helping with back pain also. I am so afraid of moving in an uncontrolled way though -- I have to be very careful to keep my body centered and not to twist my back in any way. I'd like to take advantage of the free swimming offered at my local community center, but I'm afraid I might get a sudden excruciating pain while doing it. Are there certain strokes that would be safe for me to do?

bj1208 responded:
Hi and welcome to the support group

I've had 2 failed fusion back surgeries first one in 2008 and mist recent Dec 2013 and we have a swimming pool. I have tried to do light swimming but the kicking motion makes it possible for me to do any core strength swimming so I basically do dog paddle with my hands and keep my legs still.

I also will walk back and forth in shallow end, forwards, backwards, sideways and step over step behind exercises. I can only do a few if I do a lot then I have problems getting out if pool and walking inside.

so be careful what you do as any type of twisting may irritate the lower back.

look up swimming exercises on the internet for low aerobic exercise there are usually videos to show how to do these. Keep us posted how you are doing.

dannymaui responded:
I think swimming is great for your herniated discs..
I would look into a PT who does pool therapy.

Helpful Tips

Steps For Getting Back Pain Diagnosed And Treated
Many people come to this WebMD Back Pain Community looking for help in getting a diagnosis of a cause and relief from their back pain. Most ... More
Was this Helpful?
221 of 338 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Spine Center