Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Joy how did your appt. go?
debs_bears posted:
Hey Joy how did your new doctor appt. go on Wed. the 23rd? I had been praying the thinking about you.
It is my prayer that you have a Blessed Day in all that you do. ~~~Debbie~~~

bj1208 responded:
Hey Debbie and everyone

well what can I say. I guess my feelings regarding my surgeon were right. He didn't look at the results.

here's what my new doc said at the appt. She found several areas that can be causing my pains: 1) I have scoliosis 2) I have bone spur 3) now this is the kicker. I have a fracture!!!! Its in the bone that is next to the fusion at L4-5!!!! She said she doesn't know how long its been there being if it was there before, during or after the surgery!!!!

now they do a flex/extension xray at each visit. And she said this is where she saw the fracture.

her thoughts are to do another fusion and take it up to L3. She said it's like tossing a coin up hoping it lands on heads. Meaning 50\50% chance on either helping or making pains worse. She was concerned cause I walk leaning towards the left and asked if I have always walked this way. I told her no before and after first surgery I walked leaning towards right cause pains on left side and left leg (wear brace on left leg) and told her since last surgery and for last year before surgery have walked leaning towards left and reminded her I can't sleep on right side ir my back.

her other thought was to wait and see what happens and this is what I think we should do.

so that's where I am at. Want to wait and see what happens. I told her I will call her if anything changes.

been fighting with hubby so sorry didn't post sooner. Just a bunch of bs right now. Will talk later - take care~~
~~ Click on my name or picture and read my story ~~
~~ Joy ~~

debs_bears replied to bj1208's response:
Wow that was a lot to take in on your first visit. And to think the other yahoo didn't even look at your records.

I hope waiting to see if you heal that fracture it does without causing even more pain.

With my scoliosis, ddd, facet disease, L4 fracture and other back issues they need me to start on an osteoporosis med. to help prevent more fractures.

My prayers will continue for you - keep us posted when you can.
It is my prayer that you have a Blessed Day in all that you do. ~~~Debbie~~~

trs1960 replied to bj1208's response:
The good thing about waiting is you can always change your mind. Being that the chances of pain mitigation reduce drastically each time you have spine surgery, I think waiting to get to know the doctor better and allow her to gather more data on you is a wise choice. As long as you can maintain your quality of life in the meantime.

Sorry about hubby, I know how that kind of BS can wear you down. It's hard enough to deal with health problems and I understand that it's stressful on my spouse, but what part of team means we should fight?

I hate fighting, I love to discuss stuff, I love facts, I love being proven wrong for if I'm always right life is boring.

All my best, tell hubby I said to back off.

Tim

bj1208 replied to trs1960's response:
Hey Debbie -

thanks for replying. You and I sound like we have same spine!! LOL I have L5-S1 fused, L4-5 not fused, dad entire spine, fracture on bone next to not fused bs and bone spur.

it sucks and I'm in so much pain its horrible. Even getting in my pool us a choir walking to stairs with 2 canes walking down stairs. I used to love laying across raft letting my lower back hang down in water and I've tried it a couple times only to have more pains. And now I realized why - I have 2 rids that are prohibiting a slight decompression, sort of. So any stretching will cause extreme pains! Lovely huh??!!

so think I'm gonna wait a month and see how I'm doing and if same or worse will call and make appt with her. I really like her. She is really a cool doc and we get along very well. She even stated when she came in that with our first visit with just thewritten reports shedidt know what to do with me but wanted to look at my films. And once I dropped those off and ahr had time to review etc she said I was a hard case study. Oh yea makes ya feel great knowing this.!! Ugh

so will keep you posted how I'm doing. Take care
~~ Joy ~~

Hey Tim thanx fir replying appreciate ur post.

I knew as soon as I said bs problems you would know cause you've been thru the bs too. Yea I had to put my foot down and he knew I was right bout several items so he has backed down, but come Monday nite (my cuz is here til then) I'm gonna have a long long discussion with him and will lay it all on the line.

anyway I have my pain appt coming up and will be seeing my old PA as my new one will be off work for a while as she is having her baby. And I know I can talk more with my old PA and tell her I've been taking more pain meds on certain days and its gotten worse. I'm at the limit of what they are allowed to prescribe for oxycodone so will see what she can do with morphine and maybe she can prescribe some immediate release ones to help.

she will be interested to know bout my appt's with new surgeon. Will also go over my last lain appt that I had with main doc and how he was disturbed that I didn't take his offer on the 2 week free trial supply with new daladid extended release pain med. I kept telling him I was a cash paying patient when it came to RX meds and my limit was $300 which I was at that amount with meds I take and since this one was a new med it would be extremely expensive but he seemed more intent on me trying it out so I'll have her call pharmacy and see what price is. I hate changing pain meds cause sometimes it can take more than 30 days to feel if its working or not and I'd rather not do that again as I did try changes a few months ago. Trial and error as we all say!!

anyway thanx again for posting will keep u informed
~~ Joy ~~

bj1208 replied to bj1208's response:
Hey Debbie & Tim -

has anyone heard from Dave? Just wondering if he and his wife are doing ok!!~~
~~ Joy ~~

davedsel2 replied to bj1208's response:
Here I am. Reading daily but not really in the mood to post. We are doing OK. Thank you for asking.

Praying for you, Joy, and everyone.
Please click on my username or avatar picture to read my story.

Blessings,

-Dave

trs1960 replied to bj1208's response:
Years ago my doc put me on Opana ER http://www.webmd.com/drugs/drug-144617-Opana ER oral.aspx?drugid=144617&drugname=Opana ER oral&source=1 It's just Oxymorphone extended release. It worked, but no better than Norco or MS Contin. Opana was new. I checked with pharmacy and it was over $800 a bottle! Even though I had insurance it was still a waste of money so I had him switch me back to genetics that were less than $12 a month.

Thanx Tim -

when my PA was checking on changing my oxycodone they called my pharmacy and found out a 30 day supply if 40 mg (I think) 60 tabs would cost $1,000 they didn't check on any other mg's. It does help but long acting meds just don't do the trick. I was taking 60mg morphine extended 4times a day and that started running $350!! So now they have me on 100mg twice a day and still I have lots of break thru pains..

my new doc was really concerned bout what type of material was used for my implants. Think I have the hospital records of first fusion so will look at those and see. If not will send letter to both surgeons and ask. Dang I could be one of those that a class action lawsuit has been issued!! So will see. Thanx again take care.
~~ Joy ~~

Helpful Tips

Making the Most of Your Doctor Visit #2Expert
Here are the rest of the suggestions (had to break into to two parts due to the character limits) 5. Make sure that all records ... More
Was this Helpful?
24 of 38 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Spine Center