Skip to content


    Exciting News for WebMD Members!

    We've been busy behind the scenes building new message boards for you. You'll have new and easier ways to find messages, connect with others, and share your stories.

    And, this will all be available on your smartphone or other mobile device!

    What Do You Need to Do?

    The message board you're used to will be closing in the coming weeks. While many of your boards will be making the move to our new home, your posts will not. Want to keep a discussion going? Save posts you want to continue (this includes your member profile story), so that you can re-post them in the new message boards.

    Keep an eye here and on your email inbox, we'll be back in touch soon to give you all the information you need!

    Yours in health,
    WebMD Message Boards Management

    getting nowhere with doctors, NSAIDs...
    stmasc1 posted:
    I'm 22 and have had almost constant back pain for about 4 years. I have been to many doctors, specialists, and physical therapists and nothing has helped. I'm at the point that I think they do not realize the extent of my pain even though it has sent me to the emergency room. How do I ask for pain killers or SOMETHING so I can at least sleep at night on the bad days without sounding so pushy? It has just gotten worse and worse. It has moved up from very low back pain to all over and centralized to the right side... I've had MRIs, x-rays, etc... the most a doctor has done for me is tell me to take 800 mg of ibuprofen a couple times a day (which does not help at all) and a muscle relaxer which besides making me basically pass out, did nothing. Anyone have any experience with this?
    bj1208 responded:
    Hi and welcome to the support group

    it would help us to know more about you. Were you in an accident, work related accident or could there be hereditary related spine problems? The more we know the more we can help you.

    what does the written report show? Have the docs given you any diagnosis? What types of specialist have you been to? Are they either Orthopedic Spine Specialist or Neurosurgeon Spine Specialist?

    for pain management I see a PHYSIATRIST Pain Specialist as they go deeper into pain management control based on client needs. At the top of this page is a search engine. Click on DOCTORS and enter jnfo looking fir pain doctors and it should show ones that are a PHYSIATRIST. You can choose ones that are close to you.

    please let us know more - take care
    ~~ Click on my name or picture and read my story ~~
    ~~ Joy ~~
    denaliguy responded:
    Hi. im 28 years old. been dealing with the same crap. I cannot get the help I need. they will hardly prescribe anything that's actually for pain. at our ages they do not want to hand out pain meds. specially for long term and for people like us that will probably need them through out life. its tuff and sucks. theres tons of new laws and BS that makes it even harder for us. I take lyrica. it helps. but doesn't do the same as the hydrocodone did for me before they pulled it from me. I recommend pain management specialists. but you have to deal with their ways and go through the motions the way they want it. or it will hurt you more in the ling run if you continually ask for meds. its a bunch of bull$?!% but that's just the way it is now a days. we just had a baby, they gave my wife 20 T3s. she asked for a refill ten days later, they told her she would have to go to pain management for "CHRONIC PAIN" load of crap! she just had a baby and they wont even give her the tiny little T3's. its an epidemic and makes life harder for people like us. Best of luck.
    stmasc1 replied to bj1208's response:
    I was never in an accident and no hereditary problems that I know of. I have never seen a written report... I have had doctors look and say I have slight scoliosis (which they claim should not be causing pain), an extra vertebrae (also should not cause pain). I've been told my MRI looks normal, but I have also had a couple doctors who, at first, said my x-rays looked normal. I've been to orthopedists and a spinal and pain specialist. Part of the trouble of this is that I cannot afford these MRIs and such. My insurance is awful and I've already paid thousands of dollars for essentially NOTHING. I really wish there was just a sure way to get answers?
    bj1208 replied to stmasc1's response:
    hi again -

    what I would do is contact the place(s) you have had MRI's and X-rays done and ask to get the written report - they will either have you come in and sign a form and hand it to you or they may mail it to you.

    Once you have these reports then you can see for yourself what is on there.

    I have scoliosis too and it does hurt slightly so don't let them say it shouldn't cause any pains -

    Try asking your mom/dad if there are any relatives with back problems and what those are.

    I'm 53 and I didn't find out about the poor back problems that are on my mom's side of the family til after I had my first back surgery in 2008 - so sometimes these things are not told to us.

    let us know what you find out ~~
    ~~ Click on my name or picture and read my story ~~
    ~~ Joy ~~

    Helpful Tips

    try yoga for sure the positions and stretches help alot. u will feel relief but do not stop just continue doing it More
    Was this Helpful?
    1 of 4 found this helpful

    Related Drug Reviews

    • Drug Name User Reviews

    Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

    FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

    For more information, visit the Duke Health Spine Center