Find Information About:

Drugs & Supplements

Get information and reviews on prescription drugs, over-the-counter medications, vitamins, and supplements. Search by name or medical condition.

Pill Identifier

Pill Identifier

Having trouble identifying your pills?

Enter the shape, color, or imprint of your prescription or OTC drug. Our pill identification tool will display pictures that you can compare to your pill.

Get Started

My Medicine

Save your medicine, check interactions, sign up for FDA alerts, create family profiles and more.

Get Started

WebMD Health Experts and Community

Talk to health experts and other people like you in WebMD's Communities. It's a safe forum where you can create or participate in support groups and discussions about health topics that interest you.

  • Second Opinion

    Second Opinion

    Read expert perspectives on popular health topics.

  • Community


    Connect with people like you, and get expert guidance on living a healthy life.

Got a health question? Get answers provided by leading organizations, doctors, and experts.

Get Answers

Sign up to receive WebMD's award-winning content delivered to your inbox.

Sign Up


All communities will be placed in read-only mode (you will be able to see and search for posts but not start or reply to discussions) as we conduct maintenance. We will make another announcement when posting is re-opened. Thank you for your continued support and patience, and if you have any further questions, please email

Yours in health,
WebMD Community Management

Chronic Back Pain for over a year. Please help!
thereselittle posted:
I fractured my coccyx when I was 3. I am 14 now. About 1 1/2 yrs ago I tripped but did not fall.I had no pain immediately after, however, later I could not climb stairs, walk or turn my neck. I went to my family physician who said I fractured it again near the first one as shown by an x-ray. I was on bed rest for a while, but still the pain persists to this day.

Since then I have been to 5 doctors, all with different theories, none with a solid diagnosis for the persisting pain. I have had x-rays, CT scans and tons of tests; they all revealed nothing new except that I have scoliosis. They said that it could be soft tissue damage but that was a year ago. I have taken pain killers, muscle relaxants, anti-inflammatory medicine and went to physical therapy. They help for a few days or weeks but then the pain returns worse than ever.

At the moment the pain radiates from the lumbar area down to the coccyx. There is also pain down the outer side of my leg that is excruciating when I stand and/or sit sit. The pain is like a sharp, tingling pain mixed with a numb and weak feeling. It only occurs in one leg.

So, as a result I miss weeks of school at a time, cannot carry anything heavy, cannot sit for long periods or do daily activities without discomfort or pain. Also, when the weather is chilly or when it rains the pain increases. If it helps, back pain and back related conditions are prevalent in my family. My mother was in a similar condition, worse actually, when she was my age, as well as a few years ago. She has scoliosis and a herniated disk as well as sciatica. My grandma more or less has the same.

Please help with either suggestions to relieve the pain or a possible cause for the pain or even both. Hopefully, I can alleviate some of the pain before school starts again. Thanks in advance for at least reading all of this!
bj1208 responded:
Hi and welcome to the support group

you are so young to have this type of pain.

the only suggestions would be seeing the right kind of docs either Orthopedic Spinr Specialist or Neurosurgeon Spine Specialist as they are the best to see.

I see a PHYSIATRIST Pain Specialist as they go deeper into pain control. Nothing can take pain away but maybe they can help reduce it down. I hope you can find something out.. Keep us posted.
~~ Click on my name or picture and read my story ~~
~~ Joy ~~
trs1960 responded:
I agree with Joy, physiatrist don't just deal with pain, more importantly they may find the underlying issue. You sound very bright for 14. It's a shame this is causing you to miss school.

Research physiatrist and you will see all that they must know. Their knowledge is vast, your problem needs attention. At your age each day you lose to pain is a travesty.

Being smart like you are you've already learned to take matters in your own hands and reach out as you have here. This is a great thing and you impress me more than many adults I know.

When you study physiatrist I think you'll learn why one would be a great resource for you. Learning this yourself will embed the knowledge in your head allowing you to explain it to your parents or guardian.

Please let us know how things work out.

God bless you.

thereselittle replied to bj1208's response:
Thank you abundantly for this response. We went to a general Orthopedic doctor but will look into seeing a specialist as well as a psychiatrist pain specialist . Thanks again!
thereselittle replied to bj1208's response:
sorry physiatrist
thereselittle replied to trs1960's response:
Thank you for your response as it is greatly appreciated!

Helpful Tips

Yoga for Back Pain
My lower back has been causing me issues for a while but starting yoga 1-2 a week has helped quite a bit. More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 12 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

  • Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Spine Center