Skip to content
What's wrong with me?
cherrie666pie posted:
I'm 19 years old and have back pain when I lay down. It started so long ago I thought that it was normal but now I'm living with my boyfriend and he says that it's not. What happens is that I lay down and as soon as I start breathing out and relaxing my body I'm in intense pain for about 5-10 minutes. It has gotten to the point that it hurts so bad I start crying, spasming, and hyperventilating. I'm pretty sure it's my spine. When I mention it to my doctors they kind of shrug it off and it never gets fixed. I have Endometriosis that my doctors found when I had exploratory surgery. (I had stomach pain for years as well) When they took it out and put me on the Depo Lupron shot the pain subsided for about a week. But it came back and is getting worse and worse. I tried to see if anyone had the same symptoms as me but found nothing. I'm afraid to talk to my doctor about it because last time she acted like it was no importance or it was a respiratory issue. I can breathe fine and it is important. Can anyone tell me what is going on?
trs1960 responded:
Nobody can diagnose you online. It sounds like at least one doctor can't even diagnose you in person.

I think most of us would agree that a good place to start would be a physiatrist. A physiatrist is a doctor of physical medicine. Among many other things they specialize in treating musculoskeletal problems including low back pain and fibromyalgia. I don't know what type of doctor you're seeing, but it's not uncommon for a doctor that is not trained to deal with spine problems to misdiagnose or dismiss your symptoms. Physiatrists look at your complete body to assess your health and find a strategy for treatment or rehabilitation. Physiatrists typically are not surgeons so they look for non surgical solutions if they are available. They specialize in rehabilitation, but If need be they will refer you to the appropriate type of treatment or surgeon.

I have a good friend that is a physiatrist and in my opinion they are one of the most under utilized resources out there. Second only to psychologists for chronic pain syndromes.

By definition you have chronic pain as it has existed longer than 3 months, but it sounds like it only bothers you when you lay down so It seems to be a symptom of what may be a skeletal (alignment) or soft tissue issue...which leaves a few million unanswered questions.

It's important you find answers as problems like this at your age can haunt you your entire life.

The best place to find a physiatrist is to start with orthopedic offices or clinics. The ones I know partner with orthopedic surgeons.

I have a daughter 19 so this hits home with me. She had some similar complaints and we took her to our physiatrist. So I do practice what I preach. Hers turned out completely unrelated...I think. It's at least calmed down.

I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers.


Helpful Tips

Acupuncture helps
Both acupuncture and cups do great in pain management. More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 2 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

  • Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Spine Center