Skip to content
Good beds for degenerative disc?
kansascity posted:
I am looking for a recommendation on a brand of a bed or features for those with (lower back) degenerative disc disease. I am on a NASID but still have pain while lying down. I'm a stomach sleeper so my original pillowtop bed did not give me the right support. I bought a 'no-frills' firm mattress and am still having pain while sleeping. Tired a relative's ultra firm with no success.
Any recommendations? Anyone have luck with a Sleep Number? Any tricks for stomach sleepers that have kept you from turning onto your stomach (no tennis ball remedies, please). Thanks!

davedsel2 responded:
Hello.

My wife and I invested in a Sleep Number bed 6 years ago and it was worth every penny to us. We both have serious spinal problems and love the bed.

I don't know any tricks to stop sleeping on your stomach. Due to my spinal problems, I have never been able to sleep on my stomach. That causes too much pain. It may be a matter of forcing yourself to turn over if you find yourself in that position. Any spinal expert I have known says this is the worst sleeping position for anyone with back problems.
Please click on my username or avatar picture to read my story.

Blessings,

-Dave

bj1208 responded:
Hi just thought I would add my 2 cents worth. I have a pillow top and can only sleep on my left side so I use extra pillows to keep me from moving. I wake up screaming and crying if I happen to roll over on my back.

sleeping on stomach is the worst position and I've heard this from numerous surgeons I have seen over the years. I too used to be a stomach sleeper til I started having back problems.

as Dave said the sleep number bed is the best and I will get one as soon as I can afford one. Take care
~~ Click on my name or picture and read my story ~~
~~ Joy ~~

dianer01 responded:
Hi,

I agree with the others, stomach sleeping is the worst, that said, try placing a pillow under your hips.

I have had a memory foam bed for more than 10 years and love it. I have a hard time sleeping on traditional mattresses now.

There is no right or wrong answer, look for a return policy when you buy a new mattress. Trying one for a few minutes in a store or one night will not really give you the feedback you need.

bj1208 replied to dianer01's response:
Hey Dianer01

LOL have to laugh at your statement about trying one for a few minutes or one nite is not enough - my hubby would let me choose which mattress to get - we went to 5 different stores one day - and each time I would lay on a mattress for over 30 minutes or more - hubby didn't mind cause he is a jabber jaw so he bs with the sales people while I went from one mattress to another!!

Since before my last surgery in Dec I haven't been able to sleep on my back. but when I get in the pool and lay on an air mattress I can actually get on my back - I think for me, personally, a sleep by number bed will benefit me more.

Take care~~
~~ Joy ~~

bj1208 responded:
Hey KansasCity -

so are you from KansasCity?? I live just south of KC - just thought I would ask~~
~~ Joy ~~

Helpful Tips

Steps For Getting Back Pain Diagnosed And Treated
Many people come to this WebMD Back Pain Community looking for help in getting a diagnosis of a cause and relief from their back pain. Most ... More
Was this Helpful?
218 of 335 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Spine Center