Good beds for degenerative disc?
kansascity posted:
I am looking for a recommendation on a brand of a bed or features for those with (lower back) degenerative disc disease. I am on a NASID but still have pain while lying down. I'm a stomach sleeper so my original pillowtop bed did not give me the right support. I bought a 'no-frills' firm mattress and am still having pain while sleeping. Tired a relative's ultra firm with no success.
Any recommendations? Anyone have luck with a Sleep Number? Any tricks for stomach sleepers that have kept you from turning onto your stomach (no tennis ball remedies, please). Thanks!

davedsel2 responded:
Hello.

My wife and I invested in a Sleep Number bed 6 years ago and it was worth every penny to us. We both have serious spinal problems and love the bed.

I don't know any tricks to stop sleeping on your stomach. Due to my spinal problems, I have never been able to sleep on my stomach. That causes too much pain. It may be a matter of forcing yourself to turn over if you find yourself in that position. Any spinal expert I have known says this is the worst sleeping position for anyone with back problems.
Please click on my username or avatar picture to read my story.

Blessings,

-Dave

bj1208 responded:
Hi just thought I would add my 2 cents worth. I have a pillow top and can only sleep on my left side so I use extra pillows to keep me from moving. I wake up screaming and crying if I happen to roll over on my back.

sleeping on stomach is the worst position and I've heard this from numerous surgeons I have seen over the years. I too used to be a stomach sleeper til I started having back problems.

as Dave said the sleep number bed is the best and I will get one as soon as I can afford one. Take care
~~ Click on my name or picture and read my story ~~
~~ Joy ~~

dianer01 responded:
Hi,

I agree with the others, stomach sleeping is the worst, that said, try placing a pillow under your hips.

I have had a memory foam bed for more than 10 years and love it. I have a hard time sleeping on traditional mattresses now.

There is no right or wrong answer, look for a return policy when you buy a new mattress. Trying one for a few minutes in a store or one night will not really give you the feedback you need.

bj1208 replied to dianer01's response:
Hey Dianer01

LOL have to laugh at your statement about trying one for a few minutes or one nite is not enough - my hubby would let me choose which mattress to get - we went to 5 different stores one day - and each time I would lay on a mattress for over 30 minutes or more - hubby didn't mind cause he is a jabber jaw so he bs with the sales people while I went from one mattress to another!!

Since before my last surgery in Dec I haven't been able to sleep on my back. but when I get in the pool and lay on an air mattress I can actually get on my back - I think for me, personally, a sleep by number bed will benefit me more.

Take care~~
~~ Joy ~~

bj1208 responded:
Hey KansasCity -

so are you from KansasCity?? I live just south of KC - just thought I would ask~~
~~ Joy ~~