Skip to content


    Attention All WebMD Community Members:

    These message boards are closed to posting. Please head on over to our new WebMD Message Boards to check out and participate in the great conversations taking place:

    Your new WebMD Message Boards are now open!

    Making the move is as easy as 1-2-3.

    1. Head over to this page:

    2. Choose the tag from the drop-down menu that clicks most with you (and add it to any posts you create so others can easily find and sort through posts)

    3. Start posting

    Have questions? Email us anytime at

    Legal advice on claiming disability status with employer
    kansascity posted:
    Are there any good web resources that have recommendations on legal matters for those with back issues protected by EEOC (degenerative disc disease)? I am applying for federal jobs. With many agencies, you receive extra points in your application if you have a disability. Obviously, I want extra points but a) I feel sleazy claiming it if there are those with greater handicaps than mine, and b) not sure if it's a good idea to alert a future employer about a 'flaw'.
    In general, when starting with a new employer, is it better to notify that employer upon hire of your disability (to document it as self-protection) or not. I'm asking from a white-collar job perspective…
    How do you legally document your diagnosis, and do you need to if not claiming disability insurance or benefits?
    trs1960 responded:
    The best info is on the EEOC web site. There's an arm called JAN I believe that can assist you. It's not to get you points or preferential treatment, their Job is to make sure you're not discriminated against.

    It's always better to get a job because you can bring value to your employer. You should know what your rights are under EEOC, but I wouldn't start my career there.

    Helpful Tips

    Try water therapy
    I also have had surgery for L5S1,protruding disc for sciatic pain. Everything was fine for a year. Then the pain came back and the doctor ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    22 of 32 found this helpful

    Helpful Resources

    Related Drug Reviews

    • Drug Name User Reviews

    Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

    FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

    For more information, visit the Duke Health Spine Center