Skip to content


    Attention All WebMD Community Members:

    These message boards are closed to posting. Please head on over to our new WebMD Message Boards to check out and participate in the great conversations taking place:

    Your new WebMD Message Boards are now open!

    Making the move is as easy as 1-2-3.

    1. Head over to this page:

    2. Choose the tag from the drop-down menu that clicks most with you (and add it to any posts you create so others can easily find and sort through posts)

    3. Start posting

    Have questions? Email us anytime at

    extra half formed lumber disk
    An_256469 posted:
    I have had lower back pain since I was a child but I figured everyone did so I didn't complain. I am 61 now and the pain has progressively gotten worse. It is so bad I cannot stand or walk for more then 10 minutes. I can't lie on my stomach or on my back because of the pain. I had Xrays 20 years ago and was told I had an extra half formed lower lumber disk that could be a mild form of spina bifida. I also have 2 extra ribs.The doctor said don't worry about it. But now I have bad arthritis, bone spurs and a herniated cervical disk causing some nerve damage on my left side. I cannot afford a doctor and have no medical insurance. I divorced my husband (a dentist) of 30 years due to domestic violence. I have had bones in both feet broken, fingers and thumb broken, torn meniscus, black eyes, broken nose and shoulder dislocated but was never allowed to see a doctor. My husband took xrays and gave me pain medication. My body feels like I am 80. Is there anything that can be done to help the pain in my back, neck and shoulder? What about the arthritis?
    I am a mess.....
    bj1208 responded:
    Hi and welcome to the support group -

    first you need to see the right kind of spine doctor - either Orthopedic Spine Specialist or Neurosurgeon Spine Specialist.

    They will examine you and order other tests (MRI, CT Scan) and may order specific X-rays. Once they have this they can let you know what the accurate diagnosis is and what treatment options are available which may include written prescription to Physical Therapy and/or Chiropractor treatments. They may also send you to pain management. I see a PHYSIATRIST Pain Specialist.

    They go deeper into pain management control based on patients' needs and they do go to the underlying problem where the pains are coming from.

    It's best to get a written prescription for Physical Therapy treatments as they have the reports to substantiate what types need to be done. Never go to one without an accurate diagnosis.

    Hope this helps - please keep us posted what you find out.
    ~~ Click on my name or picture and read my story ~~
    ~~ Joy ~~
    trs1960 responded:
    If your ex is a dentist didn't you get medical insurance in your divorce?
    sw3tflower replied to trs1960's response:
    30 years of domestic abuse left me with a bad case of PTSD. The county mental health dept is treating me. He was also a conrol freak who refused to let me have ANY money, no shared accounts, no credit cards etc. For the divorce, he had 3 attorneys, I had none the first 2 years, then an attorney offered his services the 3rd year. I didn't know he (attorney)was a patient of my husband"s. I am embarrased to say I was frightened by his threats and he lied to me. After 3 years I signed a settlement after he said I had no choice. I had to sign if I wanted a divorce.
    It left me with furniture, no retirement accounts, gave him the business, the house, my car.....and no health insurance. He even has my birth certificate and my dad's death certificate and refuses to give it to me.
    I am very embarrassed by how weak I was at the time, but I was frightened...and for 30 years I learned never to contradict him.
    Life goes on, so I decided to concentrate on my physical problems that are limiting my life.
    bj1208 replied to sw3tflower's response:
    Hi sorry you had to endure that. Just as a thought maybe you should find another attorney and have them review your divorce case as a consultation see if anything can be done. There is always civil lawsuits to sue for what's in your best interest.

    in the meantime see if there are any teaching hospitals around you. They offer reduced and/or free doc visits a most times they have advanced teachings and can give you a diagnosis and treatment plans.

    please keep usposted
    ~~ Click on my name or picture and read my story ~~
    ~~ Joy ~~
    sw3tflower replied to bj1208's response:
    Thank you for your reply. UC Med Center is close by.
    I was also wondering if anyone had any home remedies that work for them. Hot or cold packs? Advil vs asprin (my ex gave me vicoden). Exercise, don't exercise. Rest when pain gets really bad or try to take a few more steps. Help avoiding shooting pain or numbness, special beds, chairs etc
    Any advice is grratefully received.
    bj1208 replied to sw3tflower's response:
    hi again -

    let's start with heat pads and ice packs - use these - at least 4-5 times a day as needed - alternate between the 2 - 20 minutes ice - 20 minutes nothing then 20 minutes heat pad.

    ibuprofen is best, as most of us on this support site use it. it helps more with pains and inflammation. you can take 4 tabs at a time (200mg each) to a limit of 3500mg daily.

    Don't exercise - you could do more harm than good especially if you don't have an accurate current diagnosis. should wait til spine doc or pain management doc can give you scrip for correct exercises to do.

    yes rest if pains get to be too much - use heat pad/ice packs and rest.

    chairs with pillow cushion are best - or use an extra pillow if needed. best types of beds are sleep by number and best type of another type of chair would be recliner so you can put it at whatever angle you need.

    hope this helps - keep us posted ~~
    ~~ Click on my name or picture and read my story ~~
    ~~ Joy ~~

    Helpful Tips

    Steps For Getting Back Pain Diagnosed And Treated
    Many people come to this WebMD Back Pain Community looking for help in getting a diagnosis of a cause and relief from their back pain. Most ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    226 of 343 found this helpful

    Helpful Resources

    Related Drug Reviews

    • Drug Name User Reviews

    Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

    FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

    For more information, visit the Duke Health Spine Center