Skip to content
Stinging pain after fusion
angelis1165 posted:
I just had my 2nd spinal fusion L4_L3 the first was S1-L5 this time they did some clean up of the severe spinal stenosis. 4 days post op and I've began to experiencing a pulling stinging pain radiating from incision around the left side. Is this common

bj1208 responded:
Hi and welcome to the support group -

yes this could be common as you are in the healing process.

I had bout the same after my 2nd fusion (first was L5-S1) and this last one was L4-5.

Just be sure to take it easy - rest and rest - don't do anything that will irritate the incision site or the muscles around the area - all this will be healing and you will feel it more.

Let us know how you are doing after a week or two. I had my last surgery 12/4/13.

Take Care~~
~~ Click on my name or picture and read my story ~~
~~ Joy ~~

raiko responded:
I had a discectomy/laminectomy on my L-5 S-1 last August and I remember having that type of pain post-op also. My surgeon told me that it was my nerves trying to "regenerate" themselves. The herniation I had at L-5 S-1 had been pushing against my nerves for so long, it took some time for my body to adjust to that new "space" that it had. If your pain continues, you may wish to contact your surgeon.

angelis1165 responded:
It has been 1 week post op still having the pain, but also still running low grade temp. 99-101did not have this issue with first surgery. But he said he did a good deal of nerve manipulation because of sever stenosis

bj1208 replied to angelis1165's response:
Hi have you called your surgeon? Running the low grade fever, imho, is not normal.

being one week post ip you will feel more healing pains because if the intense clean up he did but my main concern for you is the fever. Call your surgeon in the morning and have him check you out. He may need to give you an antibiotic to take. You can also ask about some of the pains you are feeling.

keep us posted. Joy
~~ Joy ~~

angelis1165 replied to bj1208's response:
I called today and they said as long as it stayed below 101.5 to not worry. Incision site looks good no drainage, so I guess we will just see how long it last.

bj1208 replied to angelis1165's response:
Glad you called. Best thing would be to keep a log of your temps and also of pains etc you are feeling.

that way you can go over that when you have your post op check-up.

I know after I came home from my fusion I wasn't allowed to take ibuprofen for about 2 weeks and it's a good anti inflammatory otc but be sure to take Tylenol unless they tell you otherwise.

keep us posted. Joy
~~ Joy ~~

angelis1165 responded:
Well I am 4 weeks post-op today. Yesterday started having a pain in lower right side of back (almost a nerve pinching type pain) no matter what I do if I move I feel this pain. Also having a good deal of leg pain have also had some tingling down left leg and foot. I didn't have any of these symptoms after first fusion, any suggestions as to why. Thanks for any advice.

jm1960 replied to angelis1165's response:
Hi again thanks for keeping us posted

one thing to remember whenever back surgery is done while they are I there they can move around and irritate nerves which is normal. The roots can take a while to heal sometimes can take up to a hear or longer.

another thing to understand is sometimes nerve roots can be damaged beyond repairing themselves which can be caused by damaged disc pressing on nerve roots for a period of time.

as an example my disc was split and herniated where a large part was pressing on the left side nerve root and other side had a small part pressing on the right side nerve root from the time my disc blew out to when it was determined how severe it was over 2 yrs had gone by and nerve damage had already set in. This was diagnosed after my fusion with a test called EMG and Nerve Conduction Test. It a 2 part test.

keep a weekly log if what you are going thru listing any new symptoms or if pains are getting worse and where. You can take this in and discuss with your surgeon.

take care Joy

angelis1165 replied to jm1960's response:
Thanks and yes the Dr. told me he did a lot of nerve manipulation trying to clean up as much as he could in the area. This fusion was an extension to the previous one, as well as severe stenosis. So I expected the recovery time to be longer, it's just I thought I was doing better then this setback is a little bit of a let down. Also I have been sleeping on my sofa because it limits my movement, returned to my bed for 2 nights and then the pain set in not sure if that has anything to do with it or not. So back to the sofa to see if that helps.

jm1960 replied to angelis1165's response:
Yea sometimes where we sleep makes a big difference. Sleeping in your bed ir the sofa be sure to use extra pillows especially in your bed. Under knees if sleeping on back and between knees if sleeping on your side this will help keep spine more straight.

remember too recovery pains may start to hurt worse during the first 2-3 months then they should start to subside.

take care ~~ Joy

Helpful Tips

Making the Most of Your Doctor Visit #2Expert
Here are the rest of the suggestions (had to break into to two parts due to the character limits) 5. Make sure that all records ... More
Was this Helpful?
29 of 43 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Spine Center