Skip to content


    Attention All WebMD Community Members:

    These message boards are closed to posting. Please head on over to our new WebMD Message Boards to check out and participate in the great conversations taking place:

    Your new WebMD Message Boards are now open!

    Making the move is as easy as 1-2-3.

    1. Head over to this page:

    2. Choose the tag from the drop-down menu that clicks most with you (and add it to any posts you create so others can easily find and sort through posts)

    3. Start posting

    Have questions? Email us anytime at

    Lower back to hip to knee, left side
    cupsuptic posted:
    I was treated for(but know surgery) 10 years ago, for a bulging disc. Two days ago, my left knee nearly collapsed. I am wondering if the pain is traveling down the left lower back, down the left hip and continuing to the knee? Will I need an x-ray of all three? Thanks for anyone who may be able to help. Crosby
    bj1208 responded:
    Hi Crisby welcome to support group

    you need to really see either a Orthopedic Spine Specialist or Neurosurgeon Spine Specialist. They will examine you and possibly order Xray MRI or CT Scan so that they can look st your lower back to see what changes have happened since its been 10 yrs . They will let you know what the diagnosis is plus let you know what treatment options are best.

    please keep us posted what you find out
    ~~ Click on my name or picture and read my story ~~
    ~~ Joy ~~
    cupsuptic replied to bj1208's response:
    I'm still learning to use this way of communicating electronically. Thanks to bj1208. I have made an appointment to see an orthopedic specialist, 8/12/14. I have had some success with aquatic therapy, deep water and shallower water exercises. Part of deep water exercise is to rest in a vertical position, weights on ankles and "noodle' lifting you, providing mild decompression. I repeated this in the lake recently and ALL the pain went away while I was just hanging there. Of course the pain returned after leaving the water. How do I find the best aquatic therapy people? Thanks, Crosby(screen name, Cupsuptic)
    bj1208 replied to cupsuptic's response:
    Hi again -

    You can ask your Ortho Specialist and/or pain management doc to write a script for this therapy and they should have a list of physical therapy places that do this.

    I have a pool and I am very limited on what I can and can't do. Before my last surgery (Dec/2013) I would walk in shallow end going front, back, side to side, step over, step behind and then I would lay across my raft and let my lower part hang down in deep end. This felt so good but when I tried it this year I had problems getting out of the pool. I can only lay across my raft and let my lower body hang in deep end for a little bit before I start feeling deeper pains. I have hardware in my back and really should do any decompression -

    Keep us posted what you find out - Joy
    ~~ Click on my name or picture and read my story ~~
    ~~ Joy ~~

    Helpful Tips

    Steps For Getting Back Pain Diagnosed And Treated
    Many people come to this WebMD Back Pain Community looking for help in getting a diagnosis of a cause and relief from their back pain. Most ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    226 of 343 found this helpful

    Helpful Resources

    Related Drug Reviews

    • Drug Name User Reviews

    Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

    FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

    For more information, visit the Duke Health Spine Center