Skip to content
I just learned today
debs_bears posted:
That my compression fracture was caused by Osteoporosis, per my Neurosurgeon and that I was diagnosed in June last year and no one told me so I went a whole year without treatments then I got the fracture. My Neurosurgeon didn't even tell me - he just said my spine was 23 yrs older than me. "My Chart" had it listed via my bone scan but I was told osteopenia.

I will be starting Forteo a daily self injectable osteoporosis med after my ostomy surgery which is scheduled for Aug. 15th.

So on top of all my medical saga I now have to add Osteoporosis. I have to be extremely careful to not bend up and down from my spine and dancing is out for now.

Never a dull moment in my neck of the woods.
It is my prayer that you have a Blessed Day in all that you do. ~~~Debbie~~~

bj1208 responded:
Hey Deb -

I just found out I have a fracture in the bone next to my fusion at L4-5. And also that I have not even started to fuse!!

Makes ya wonder - with my first fusion (L5-S1) I fused 100% by my 6th week post op!!

So something is wrong with this picture.

I sent a letter to my surgeon (Aug 1) and asked numerous questions - from what type of metals to items appearing on the Myelogram report that even my pain doc said would cause pains. Not only that what the new surgeon found (fracture) and also scoliosis, bone spur, spondoliosis (SP) All of which would be causing the pains I'm feeling.

Anyway - my surgeon that I sent the letter to actually called me - I mean he did - not a nurse!! He said we can go over everything in my letter so I have an appt set up on Wed 8/13 at 1pm. I'm also taking the flex/ext x-ray that my new surgeon took showing the fracture. I will give him the opportunity to answer my questions and see exactly what he says.

Anyway - hope you understood that!! LOL old surgeon/new surgeon - ugh! migraine.

Take care sweetie - talk later~~
~~ Click on my name or picture and read my story ~~
~~ Joy ~~

debs_bears replied to bj1208's response:
So you are going back to the old surgeon to get answers - the one who never read your chart or got back to you for 2 months and that is why you went to see the new surgeon. Glad to hear the doctor is going to see you in a timely manner to straighten all this out for you.

Isn't it amazing how we find these things out by reading our charts.

I also found out I am stage 3 chronic kidney disease (moderate) I saw the kidney doc. in July he said I was fine but the chart said I wasn't. It's like who do we believe?

bj1208 replied to debs_bears's response:
Hey Debs yep you got it right. I'm going to give him a chance to answer my questions and see what he says. I'm hoping I get copies of new surgeons films and her diagnosis/prognosis reports today ir Monday. I want to pop the cd in my computer and look at the fracture she sees. Plus wanna know what type of metals were used cause I do have allergies to gold and the hypoallergenic earrings as my earlobes swell up and start bleeding after an hour being in. I can only wear hand crafted sterling silver earings. Rings have to be white gold otherwise I break out with blisters. Oh well what fun I have coming up with the appt.

isn't it funny we find out one thing and when we ask they shrug it off I realm hate that in physicians. Imagine if a pharmacist were to do that with meds!!??!! It would be lawsuit city.

keep us posted how you are doing. Chat later. Joy
~~ Joy ~~

debs_bears replied to bj1208's response:
Hey Joy I do hope the doctor is straight with you and gives you the answers you deserve.

My hardware in my neck, left big toe and knee are all titanium. As I am allergic to nickel. For your back I am surprise the doctor didn't order you a bone growth stimulator. I use one every day 4 hrs a day for 6 months to fusion my neck together all 8 vertebrae are one long piece of bone.

Speaking about meds I just got my Forteo pen - I have to be trained to use it - what got me was it says you have to use a new needle every day right - but the pen doesn't come with the needles they have to be ordered separately crazy right? Now I have to call my PCP and have her write a script for the needles so I can use the med.

I will keep you in my prayers for the 13th, Keep us posted okay. Debbie

bj1208 replied to debs_bears's response:
Hey Deb -

with my first fusion the surgeon had me wear my back brace (had hard turtle shell on backside) plus I had the bone growth stimulator and wore it for 4 hour a day. I'd wake up at 4 am take my pain meds and put the stimulator on (shuts off at 4 hours) lay down and sleep til 8 so I wouldn't have to worry bout it. That could be why I fused 100% by my 6th week post op and bone was showing as growing by 3rd mth post op. I kept complaining that I felt real nauseous when I had it on. The PA thought I was nuts til we got the pamphlet out and read it. That was one if the symptoms. So I stopped wearing it. Didn't think I would need any more operations so I sold it to one of hubby's friends whose wife just had surgery. Stupid wished I would have kept it now.

for some reason this surgeon doesn't believe in wearing back braces or bone stimulators.

I'll see also if he got copy of my pain docs not's of last visit where he suggested SCS stimulator with a vertical and horizontal leads plus pajn pump implant. But before that can be done there are several items to discuss and couple things need to be fixed before this can happen. I'll keep ya posted. Joy
~~ Joy ~~

trublu903 replied to bj1208's response:
Hello, fellow back pain sufferers. I, too, have had chronic lower back and nerve pain going back several years. In April, 2012, I saw a neurosurgeon, who recommended spinal fusion of L4, L5, and S1. I had the surgery a week later. Once on the operating table he saw that the L3 also needed disc removal. I ended up with 8 screws, 3 cages and titanium rods. I wore a brace for 8 weeks, the one with the hard back. I also had a sales rep. from Orthofix come to my house and bring me a bone growth simulator. I wore that for 6 months, got checked, and was told to wear it 6 more months (4hrs. a day). I had hoped to not need pain meds after this drastic surgery, but following physical therapy, and following the pain doctor's instructions to the letter, I still need the meds. He suggested my next step was implanting a pain pump. No more surgery, please! So I sought out another pain doctor with the help of my family doctor, and I am now on a routine that includes physical therapy and pain medication. He does not believe in injections, unless you request it, and he does not do pain pump implantations. He says it will only make you dependent on morphine the rest of my life. I agree with his manner of treatment, which is taking the time to really talk to me, often for 30-45 minutes! I take a minimal amount of pain medication alone with ibuprofen and Neurontin. A positive attitude can make all the difference in the world. I understand now that my condition is chronic, and that I have to find a way to manage my symptoms. I really found the right doctor for me!

Good luck to you both!

trs1960 replied to bj1208's response:
Deb and Joy, I've started to reply to this a few times and got side tracked. First, I feel terrible for both of you and will continue to pray for you. Second, is there a connection between the pain condition/treatment that is aggravating the osteo condition?

Tim

jm1960 replied to trs1960's response:
hey Deb ~~

just wanted to let you know prayers are with you tomorrow. Take care and keep us posted. Joy

Helpful Tips

Spinal fusion
I had lumbar fusion at L 4-5, L5-S1 19 years ago with limited success. I have been disabled because of pain, but I still consider the ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 1 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Spine Center