Skip to content


    Exciting News for WebMD Members!

    We've been busy behind the scenes building new message boards for you. You'll have new and easier ways to find messages, connect with others, and share your stories.

    And, this will all be available on your smartphone or other mobile device!

    What Do You Need to Do?

    The message board you're used to will be closing in the coming weeks. While many of your boards will be making the move to our new home, your posts will not. Want to keep a discussion going? Save posts you want to continue (this includes your member profile story), so that you can re-post them in the new message boards.

    Keep an eye here and on your email inbox, we'll be back in touch soon to give you all the information you need!

    Yours in health,
    WebMD Message Boards Management

    Can anyone here interpret/read Xrays?
    lionbaby73 posted:
    Hello...I've had back problems for the longest but it seems that lately, for the last 3 months, it has been the worst. I ended up in the ER, not able to move. They gave me so much morphine and other stuff that the doctor couldn't believe it. Anyhow, I have fibromyalgia and DDD. I had a laminectomy (lumbar) about 4 years ago but I never improved. I also had cortisone shots on my neck (cervical) but that didn't help much neither. I've been taking ibuprofen and Norco to relieve the pain but nothing. My neck sometimes gets really swollen and hot, it feels like there's some fluid retention there. even my hands and my face get swollen too. My doctor ordered some Xrays of my spine but she just prescribed me the Norco and gave me a referral for a rheumy and one for PT. She said I might have arthritis on my spine and that was it. This information was given to me via a very fast phone call from the nurse. I KNOW there's something wrong with my back. The pain is unbearable, like never before. Even reaching for things is excruciating. I can't move my neck or even hold my head up straight for long, i can't sit, stand, walk or lie down for long periods of time. I get really bad cramps on my legs and sometimes on my arms when I sit. I explain this to my doctor and i feel like they think I'm making it up or I'm exaggerating, which I'm not. I have to live like this and try to perform my daily duties the best I can with very minimal help from others, including my doctor. If somebody can please look at my xrays and tell me what they see, it would be highly appreciated.
    trs1960 responded:
    Most of us probably could tell something from them, but even doctors rely on radiologists to get it right.

    lionbaby73 replied to trs1960's response:
    how can I insert images here?
    trs1960 replied to lionbaby73's response:
    davedsel2 replied to lionbaby73's response:

    Unfortunately, posting the images of your x-rays or the details of the report would be futile. No doctor replies to these posts, and we are not allowed to diagnose or offer medical advice.

    You need to see a spinal orthopedic surgeon or spinal neurosurgeon for interpretation of your x-rays and an accurate diagnosis. You also need to have an MRI as x-rays do not tell the whole story. Once you have seen a spine specialist then you can explore your treatment options. Many of us have had success with a pain management specialist that is a Physiatrist. These doctors go deeper and offer a wide variety of treatments.

    I pray you can get answers and relief soon.
    Please click on my username or avatar picture to read my story.


    lionbaby73 replied to davedsel2's response:
    Thank you. I'll be seeing my doctor in 2 weeks. Hopefully she will be able to help me. This pain is debilitating. Thank you again!

    Helpful Tips

    Making the Most of Your Doctor Visit #2Expert
    Here are the rest of the suggestions (had to break into to two parts due to the character limits) 5. Make sure that all records ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    39 of 54 found this helpful

    Related Drug Reviews

    • Drug Name User Reviews

    Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

    FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

    For more information, visit the Duke Health Spine Center