Skip to content
Leg Pain
rodcritt posted:
Hello all. I'm in need of some advise. 26 days ago I had ALIF with Cage and pedicle Screws. I felt so good I was released within 24 hrs of coming out from recovery, After the first 4-5 days at home my legs began to tingle. Then tingle and numbness. Then by day 15 tingling, numbness and terrible pain. Every day it gets worse. I went to the surgeon who did the abdominal incision for my 3 week check up on Monday. After telling him of my pain he immediately called the neurosurgeons office and got me in that same day a few hours latter. I saw a CNP who prescribed a steroid pack for me and asked that I report back today. 5 days latter. Well it didn't help. Now they want to do another MRI. I'm on Hydrocodone and Diazepam. every three hours for the pain. The Disc is gone and before the surgery I did not experience any leg pain. Just back pain. Does anyone have any Idea of what's going on ???? From the same experience not just guessing.

jm1960 responded:
Hi and welcome to the support group

whenever a fusion surgery is done or any back surgery there us always a possibility thst nerves are moved or touched where it may not be felt until a few days/weeks after surgery. Sometimes these nerves will heal themselves causing the extreme pains and it may take a while for this process.

its also possible that the disc was pressing on a nerve root and you may not have known it. Again the nerve roots go thru healing themselves and it could take time.

having the MRI done is s normal test to see if everything looks fine.

they can also do another test called EMG and Nerve Conduction Test. This test will let them know if there are any nerve damage.

there are 2 types of meds thst help with nerve damage. They are Neuronton and Lyrica. These are meds thst must be dosed up in small increments til a therapeutic dose is reached.

please let us know what you find out. Joy

Helpful Tips

Try water therapy
I also have had surgery for L5S1,protruding disc for sciatic pain. Everything was fine for a year. Then the pain came back and the doctor ... More
Was this Helpful?
18 of 28 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Spine Center