Skip to content
Has anyone had success with an artificial LUMBAR disc
colorado63 posted:
I've been told that American spine surgeons have very little experience with artificial discs because insurance and Medicare don't pay for artificial lumbar disc. My American spine surgeon however told me spine surgeons in Europe are approved to do two level artificial lumbar discs and have more experience because artificial lumbar disc surgery is covered by the national health plans in Europe. I am desperately trying to find anyone in the United States or Europe who can tell me if they have had satisfactory or unsatisfactory experience with LUMBAR artificial disc surgery. My pain level is unbearable from severe annular tears in my two lumbar discs.

trs1960 responded:
I've talked to them, they laughed when I told then I had twelve vertebrae fused, they patients in good health with one bad disc.

That's as far as we got, but it would seem in the US, HIPPA laws would make all but impossible to find patients. The only patients I find are because I spend so much time in the office and you meet people with new back braces and neck braces, lumbar braces and full body turtle shells. Sorry I can't help much other than to say prime candidates are those with injuries limited to one or two discs, but the rest of the spine being otherwise healthy. They want their successes to be outstanding

colorado63 replied to trs1960's response:
Thanks

Helpful Tips

Try water therapy
I also have had surgery for L5S1,protruding disc for sciatic pain. Everything was fine for a year. Then the pain came back and the doctor ... More
Was this Helpful?
18 of 28 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Spine Center