Skip to content
Lower back pain but my feet hurt to
somechic posted:
HI,

I had a lower back fusion with pedicle screws and rods. {used my own bone for fusion}. Had the surgery about 2 1/2 years ago and I am still having lower back pain but, right after the surgery my feet and sometimes my legs as well to the point that it's hard to walk on them or have anything touch them. The surgeon did another MRI and said the fusion looked good. And of course because I am only 31 years old I always get told your are young you can deal with it. The pain is so bad that I lost my job for taking time off. It just seems like no one believes me!! Anyway was wondering if anyone else is having pain in there legs and feet or is it just me.

Somechic
FirstPrevious12NextLast

orangetabby responded:
Hi!

I have not had surgery but do also get leg and foot pain. The foot pain is not constant, but it is often fleeting. Before I found out that I had back problems, I thought that this was a foot problem. I also have a numb toe.

There are others here who have had this problem after surgery. They might be able to provide more insight into this for you.

We seem to have a lot of young folks here with back problems!

Take care,

orangetabby

cathy7456 responded:
I had two level fusion, L4/5-L5-S1 in November 2005 and have had terrible leg pain in both legs since. I just found out it is because one of the screws is pressing on my nerve. I take Lyrica, Tramadol, and Norco for the pain. I need surgery to remove the screw but no insurance or money right now. Christine

Dot40324 responded:
Hi........I am sorry you are stll in pain. Yes, your back can also cause foot pain. It might even be scar tissue pressing on a nerve, There are several things that might cause it.

Sometimes an MRI doesn't always show what is causing the pain. Further testing such as a myelogram might be needed. I just can't figure out why the Dr's think just because someone is young that they can't hurt like this. Pain is pain and it knows no age. Keep looking for the solution. THere really is help out there.

I am posting a link that shows the how the discs affect different areas of the body. I hope you find relief soon......Dot

www.backpain-guide.com/Chapter_Fig_folders/Ch06_Path_Folder/4Radiculopathy.html

moonriver22 responded:
Hi,I am having such pain in my back,knee& feet. My 8th back surgery was Dec.19th 2008 I had another fusion with hardware. My knee went out on me 4 days ago & is so painful I can not hardly walk. I saw an ortho. for my knee about 2 yrs. ago & the MRI showed my knee was bone on bone. He told me to hang on as long as I could,I just cannot have another surgery because of the expence of it. I keep praying it will get better this is the worst it has ever been though,all my back problems started when I was 30yrs. old. I am now 57 thats a long time to be in pain,I pray I get some relief soon I also pray that you get relief also,I just had x-rays taken & my ortho. said the fusion looked real good,now if he would just tell my pain to go away. Take care,Pammy

lance416 responded:
I'm 24, I have a L3-4-and L5 hernaited disc ( believe).. each disc or nerve (number) from what I understand do to my pain, cause pain down your legs, and I may be wrong (with the numbers) but this is an example- L3 would cause pain in your high thigh, L4 would be front of your leg below knee, L5 would be side/back below knee on your leg that can lead to foot pain..... Like I said I may have the numbers mixed up but the idea is right.. I have had this pain it was very bad it was in my thigh above my knee for the longest time then it just worked it's way down and it starts to make the top of my foot hurt, my foot would cramp sometimes but it thankfuly never got that far.. My shots been working for now thank goodness.. However I have not had surgery but this is common without surgery so I'm sure it is after.. Good Luck

Porter1971 responded:
Hey there Somechic, I may have the perfect answer for you here. I to developed similar problems in both my feet post-op. My surgeon thought it might be part of the recovery process but as he was ready to give me a full release he did a nerve test of my legs to be sure. The nerve test came back 100% normal. He then past me off to a foot surgeon since he knew my history of being the type that would rather endure the pain rather then say anything about it. So he knew if I was saying it that it must be unbearable. I mean even post-op I didnt have my pain perscriptions filled. Anyhow I spent less then 10 minutes with the foot surgeon before he was telling me what I was filling just by how I started the story off. He said the way I got it was not normal but that it is a very common problem. But he literally described to a tee how the pain would go with out even really knowing me. There is a thing and I dont remember the exact medical name or spelling so forgive me here but it is something something fascitis. But the way he explained it to me is that basically the muscles in your legs become so tight that they start pulling on the tendons in your feet and basically tearing the tendons in your feet. He said it hurts when you take your first few steps but then starts to get better because it loosens up a little and you tend to compensate your walk because of the pain, It was almost like this guy was living in my house. Anyway he says 95% of people can fix the problem themselves over time and only that 5% wind up needing surgery on their feet to fix it. Its fix simply by doing these leg stretches he showed me several times a day. Now I don't do them near as much as I should be due to work schedules and my kids and all, but when I do them I definately notice a difference in the pain and over all I don't have near as much pain as I did before. It use to be I couldnt even take a step in the morning when I got out of bed or if I sat for more then 20 minutes, Now the only time I notice it is if I sit for a very long time(hour or more). So I guess I would suggest going to a foot surgeon and see if the problem is similar. Like I said how I got it wasn't normal he said but he thinks because of the surgery and the way I was walking prior to surgery due to pain that my legs just became tight from lack of use. He said the normal way is just the opposite, people will over stretch their legs which pulls them tendons a part but the over all result is still the same. Hope this helps and glad I could share a problem that bugged me for for a while. It did cause leg pain with it which is why I feared my surgery didnt work because my leg pain was as bad as it was before surgery. But since the stretching the leg pain is non-existant and the feet only hurt hear and there. He said it takes a long time to heal because we are always on our feet so there is no way to rest it other then to stay off your feet. But in my case thats what caused it he believes so I dont win either way, lol. Good luck and let me know how it works out for you.

orangetabby responded:
Hi,

Porter what you are talking about is plantar fasciitis. I had that several times before I was actually diagnosed with the back problems.

orange

bensonfam responded:
I just had fusion s1-L5-L4--13 Feb 09. I am also experiencing pain and numbness in my right foot....especially in the toes, foot arch, and the ball of the foot. I'm at the beginning phase working with my Neurosurgeon. Currently he has me on neurontin but it doesnt seem to help so wants to change me to to a different drug. He is hoping that the pain will go away with time...but hearing you have this for 2.5 years doesnt give me a good feeling. Will keep you posted on my progress. Please let me know if you proceed with any further treatments.

moonriver22 responded:
Hi Some chic,It is so weird that you brought this up,I just started having pain in my feet 3 months ago. I have had 8 back surgeries,3 were fusions. My last fusion was Dec.19th & thats when I started having feet problems & legs hurt also. My legs have always hurt but not my feet. I have put on a lot of weight so I was blaming the foot pain on that!! I am having real bad pain in my knee & need a total knee replacement,I have been nursing this knee for 2yrs. All my surgeries started when I was 30yrs.old & I am now 57. God help me I hope we can get some answers about our feet,sorry I am no help. Keep coming back Some chic there are a lot of people here with GREAT info. Take care. Pammy

littletwister1963 responded:
I have been recently having spasms in my calves and a darting feelin in my heels and it's been waking me up.

Not sure what is going on there but I am going to let my PM know. i have been getting cramps in my feet too.

Keep looking til you fin a doc that listens don't get discouraged!!!!

LITTLETWISTER

Tinalhorst responded:
I had a severe hernaitad disc had a laminectomy. Shortly after i had pain and swelling in that area .Went back to Doc and he said it was unstable had a fusion on the l -5 it has been healing for about 5 months went well according to the doctor.But just recently when i get up in the morning i have pain in my feet when i try to walk .It seems to go away shortly after walking a bit .But i have noticed if i sit for a while it comes back.It is starting to concern me maybe i need to go back to see my doctor ,starting to think i have the beginings of another hernaited disc .Does any one out there havethe same issue ,trying to stay positive!! tina

RMS1970 responded:
I have 2 herniated discs L4,L5 and L5,S1 and I too have pain in my feet mainly in my heels and archs, I also have numbness in my feet, heels, and toes

Hellfire6996 responded:
You are not alone I have tremendous pain in my legs and my feet hurt so bad I even think about cutting them off. My Doctor has informed me that only stem cell therapy would help me!

Good Luck

tommytop responded:
HI I have had nine back surg .you are not alone. there are so many things that where put in my back . i am unable to name them all .however I notices after the rods where put in that was the point when i felt .... The pain in my legs an feet .I am 51 and in good shape and I try to keep myself that way .. As you already know.. doesn"t matter what you do ..The pain is always there.. I really hope you don"t fall for a lot of the things i fail for...Like when a doc tells you its in your head ..Well that one looked like a fool . when I got another doc to look at my xray.. sorry for taking up your time .. I do hope this helps ...Well at least you know your not crazy...wish you the best Tommytop

Helpful Tips

Spinal fusion
I had lumbar fusion at L 4-5, L5-S1 19 years ago with limited success. I have been disabled because of pain, but I still consider the ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 1 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Spine Center