Skip to content


    Exciting News for WebMD Members!

    We've been busy behind the scenes building new message boards for you. You'll have new and easier ways to find messages, connect with others, and share your stories.

    And, this will all be available on your smartphone or other mobile device!

    What Do You Need to Do?

    The message board you're used to will be closing in the coming weeks. While many of your boards will be making the move to our new home, your posts will not. Want to keep a discussion going? Save posts you want to continue (this includes your member profile story), so that you can re-post them in the new message boards.

    Keep an eye here and on your email inbox, we'll be back in touch soon to give you all the information you need!

    Yours in health,
    WebMD Message Boards Management

    Crooked Vertebrae-Any helpful info?
    Seraizdaprincess posted:
    So I have been having pain in my right shoulder for around 2 1/2 years, mostly a burning, tearing, tingling sensation that felt better with relaxation and a 5 minute shoulder rub. I thought it was probably due to how I was sitting at my desk at work, but having been off work for 6 months, the issue remained, and about a week ago, it worsened to severe pain very suddenly. I went to the chiropractor, he x-rayed my shoulder and told me that I have 2 crooked vertebrae and that 2 of my ribs are also slightly deformed due to the crooked vertebrae. I'm undergoing treatment at the chiropractors office, and I know that it takes time, but so far I haven't found any relief from massage, Graston, and some little probey thing that sounds like a jackhammer. I get some relief from my muscle relaxers and oxycodone, but the pain is still in the background. I even tried Fentanyl patches, and those haven't worked for me either. I'm wondering if anyone has had anything like this, or knows anything about solutions to relieve some pain. Searching the internet hasn't been much help. Thank you for taking the time to read this and I hope to hear from you soon!
    littletwister1963 responded:
    welcome,and just let me say do not go to a chiropractor!!!

    That's just my opinion. If you are having those kind of problems with vertabrae you need to get to a spine or ortho spec.Please!! I have had and still do have terrible problems with may neck and back and i honestly think the Chiro is what mad it worse. In fact my doctors agree with me they siad not to let anyone touch my back or neck again(chiro).

    Iwill give you an example of what happened to me the very last time I went to one and this is something I used to believe in. He adjusted part of my back and it made me excuse the languauge sh## myself!!.

    You say that you have muscle relaxers and other meds so do you already have a doctor? Just curious.

    If not i feel that you need to.

    Sorry if I sound harsh but I have a lot of pain myself and have a PM doc I see.

    I don't have any other answers about your pain but I would get it checked out!!

    Dot40324 responded:
    Hi and welcome. I am sorry you are hurting so much. You will find many different opinions here about chiropractic care.

    I think you need an MRI. They show many more details of the spine than an x-ray does. You might have a pinched nerve from one of those discs that is causing your pain. If nerves are pinched too long, it can and will cause permanent damage.

    Please ask your Dr to order the MRI. Then take the films to an orthopedic spine specialist or a neurosurgeon. They are the most qualified to read the results and get you on the right path of treatment. This doesn't mean you will need surgery. There are many other options to get you relief but they are the best to decide what you might need.

    You are most welcome to stay with us. We really do understand what it is like to have chronic pain and what it does to us both physically and mentally. It sometimes helps to talk to others who understand.

    Let us know how you are doing and what you find out.......Dot
    orangetabby responded:

    Well, I am another one who would be afraid that the chiro would cause more damage. I can imagine that having ribs that were off-kilter might be painful, but then again the whole diagnosis sounds pretty weird. LOL. Does this mean scoliosis or what? Are the vertebra actually just tilted off their axis while your spine is straight? Have you seen the x-rays?

    I also think that you might be much better served by seeing and orthopedic doctor. I don't know if surgery is necessary or not either, but have a lot of doubts that a chiro can actually fix crooked vertebra and ribs.

    Please keep us posted.

    TRS1960 responded:
    I won't go to a chiro either. My brother in law is a chiro and he used to tell me how bad MDs are and how the world would be better off without hospitals and MDs. I showed him my MRI and he shut up. He just wished me good luck and wanted copies of my MRI for show and tell amoungst his friends. He didn't even offer to lay a hand on me as he reckognized the risks involved.

    Helpful Tips

    try yoga for sure the positions and stretches help alot. u will feel relief but do not stop just continue doing it More
    Was this Helpful?
    1 of 4 found this helpful

    Related Drug Reviews

    • Drug Name User Reviews

    Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

    FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

    For more information, visit the Duke Health Spine Center