Skip to content


    Exciting News for WebMD Members!

    We've been busy behind the scenes building new message boards for you. You'll have new and easier ways to find messages, connect with others, and share your stories.

    And, this will all be available on your smartphone or other mobile device!

    What Do You Need to Do?

    The message board you're used to will be closing in the coming weeks. While many of your boards will be making the move to our new home, your posts will not. Want to keep a discussion going? Save posts you want to continue (this includes your member profile story), so that you can re-post them in the new message boards.

    Keep an eye here and on your email inbox, we'll be back in touch soon to give you all the information you need!

    Yours in health,
    WebMD Message Boards Management

    Try water therapy
    herbyherk posted:
    I also have had surgery for L5S1,protruding disc for sciatic pain. Everything was fine for a year. Then the pain came back and the doctor suggested trying water therapy. Just floating inthe deep end of a pool with floats(noodles) and let the weight of your body pulling down and stretching your back fo about 20 to 30 minutes. It really has helped me. Good luck to all who try it.
    Was this Helpful?
    22 of 32 found this helpful
    bj1208 responded:
    yes water therapy is great - i do this each year when we open our pool - so it is wonderful - i don't have noodles but i straddle a float raft like a horse and just float around in the pool.

    i also walk around in the shallow end very carefully and slowly moving against the flow of the water to help strengthen the legs and lower back - though i do have to be careful. when i swim i can only move my arms and tread the water - i cannot move my legs as this causes so much pain

    I had Anterior Lumbar Fusion L5-S1 2 years ago and have worse pains now (not to mention that I have 3 new bulging discs - surgeon even said no to surgery) -

    monicamay1 responded:
    Thank you. My daughter just got a hot tub now all I have to do is buy a noodle! Thank you so much
    mendy44 responded:
    me TOO. Hdro therapy is weightless and it was the 1st of many unsuccessful attempts to help myself that worked. It is easy and next to that is strengthining your core. I'm not talking about a 6pack of abs/ but the stronger your core the less stress you put on lower back and stretches is the 3rd best way not to injure a pre existing problem. Its hard to work up courage and make a effort when in pain and depressed. but it works.

    Helpful Tips

    try yoga for sure the positions and stretches help alot. u will feel relief but do not stop just continue doing it More
    Was this Helpful?
    1 of 4 found this helpful

    Related Drug Reviews

    • Drug Name User Reviews

    Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

    FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

    For more information, visit the Duke Health Spine Center