Skip to content
Back pain
vel38 posted:
I have suffered from lower back pain for 6 years. I had back surgery but that failed. i did consider suicide at one point. I am taking pain meds but they dont work and I am sick and tired of them. Any advice?
Was this Helpful?
9 of 19 found this helpful
bj1208 responded:
hi vel38 - welcome to the support group -

I am so sorry that you are having such problems - suicide is not the answer -

you may want to discuss with your primary care physician and let him/her know how you are feeling - I know people sometimes do not want to see a psychiatrist but they can help with depression and also sometimes the meds can help with back pains -

You didn't say how long ago your surgery was and what type -

you may also want to see an orthopedic spine specialist or a neurosurgeon spine specialist - have new MRI/CT Scans done - they can get you in the right direction for pain management -

One place I have found that has done wonders for me (failed back surgery syndrome - had fusion L5-S1 2 1/2 years ago ) but a pain management that has the word in it of: PHYSIATRIST - they dig deeper into pain management than any other place I've ever been to -

PLEASE PLEASE DO THIS - and let us know how you are doing - we all know what it's like to live day-2-day with chronic back pains -

take care - God Bless - Joy~~
maltlover replied to bj1208's response:
Hi Vel. Joy is so very right....suicide isn't the answer. She also gave good advise. It's past time to find some help. Find a doctor who specializes in the spine....either an ortho or neuro. I'm sure they will order a new MRI or a ct scan to find out what is going on and why you are in so much pain. They may refer you to a doctor such as a pain management specialist or a physiatrist ( if you live in a big enough city). Those guys are the best at managing pain and will do everything they can to help you prevent surgery.

For sure, if the dr. you see recommends surgery, get a second opinion. If the 2 disagree on what needs to be done, then get a 3rd opinion. It's so important to be proactive when you are in pain like this. Also, your family dr. can put you on an antidepressant which will help you cope with the pain and can even ease it somewhat.

Vel, I hope you will return to the board and let the good people here help you through the hard times as you work out this problem. Folks here are so good at listening and at helping ferret out what needs to be done.

Take care, and I hope we will talk again soon.


Helpful Tips

Acupuncture helps
Both acupuncture and cups do great in pain management. More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 2 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

  • Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Spine Center