Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Visit our Crisis Assistance Link for resources. For immediate help, get to the ER.

*No Dr Outside Contact Please*
Which is worse: Mania or Depression?
larsstarscanary posted:
It has taken me years to answer this for myself, but I think mania is worse than depression.

Take the Poll

Which is worse for you: Mania or Depression?
  • Mania.
  • Depression.
  • They are about the same.
vote
View Poll Results
FirstPrevious12NextLast

Topaz03 responded:
Hi Lars:) Well, I think Mania can be pretty horrid, considering I've had more trouble with that. Though it can be "fun" at times. Sorry. Depression? I'd have to say that must be the worst of the two. Though I've made all of my life changing decisions while manic and I've just about ruined my life several times........Though, not to sound weird, at times, I've been oblivious, but still very alive.
Depression and not having the will do anything and no energy? Well, that is worse in my opinion. Mania hurts sometimes, but I'd rather have that energy and drive than none at all, no matter the outcome.
Nice to see you!!! HUGS

Topaz03 responded:
Hi again, I'm sorry. There I go again, talking. It is very nice to see you here again. How are you? Everything okay? Are you manic right now? I'm so sorry, I just thought about how I didn't follow up on the other group. I've been so terribly busy. Though, I have managed to get a lot of my house in order.

I hope you are okay!!! HUGS

jselleck responded:
Mania is worse for me because I take out all my anger and pent up feelings on my husband. When I'm depressive I'm almost normal.

bptwin responded:
For me it is depression. There is such a nothing-ness about my depression. Every miserable day seems like it last for an eternity and I have been extremely suicidal at times. Plus I've experienced much more depression than mania.

Sometimes it can be hard to come down from my mania, but my mania is usually fun -- full of ideas and energy.

sbncmo replied to bptwin's response:
bptwin, I'm with you. I like the manic episodes, although I've done some pretty dangerous things during those times & I drive others crazy with my non-stop activities. Sometimes my manic will just snap off & I'll be so depressed. Other times, I just slow down & go sleep for hours. But you put it right - the depression that is so bad, the nothingness, not caring about anything at all for days, weeks or months on end, feeling suicidal - that's the worst.

ddnos responded:
Well, having a diag of bipolar 2, my mania doesn't get as high or life interferring as it can with those diag with bipolar 1, so I would have to say that for me, depression is worse. My meds have kept me from going too deep into depression over the years, though I certainly still do get depressed, just not as debilitating as w/o meds. Over the years, if my depression started interferring with my life, I usually needed to increase one of my meds either long term or short term. My medications are my friends. lol

Debbie
Make sure the facts are straight before you start drawing conclusions - Ahmed Seoudy

BipolarDisorder2 replied to ddnos's response:
IDK which I have...I have had a manic episode where I was pretty sure I could fly, and yet I wanted to die at the same time, but I have also had episodes that didn't really interfere with my life; I was more productive and more motivated than ever. Sooo, IDK if I'm Bipolar I or II...either way, I'd say both mania & depression are the same; they both make your life miserable and they both have their consequences.

BeeRJ responded:
I say mania, that part hurt me more in life I think. Depression has not been as bad for me but I do realiize now with the work i have done that there were some deep ones.
Being me is like beeing a Bee or something. We are what we think. All that we are arises with our thoughts. With our thoughts we make the world. Budha

Indiaguerita replied to BeeRJ's response:
Glad to see you hanging around, BeeRJ. Your posts always make me chuckle. (Not this one, in particular...but there are others...)

Mania is worse for me. I am a giant b*tch when I am manic. And I clean like an unstoppable freight train for days. (Even when everything is spotless, I continue to clean.)

My husband suffers the most when I am manic. I continually blame him for the "uncleanliness" of the house...the clothes not being folded and put away.......basically anything that I deem wrong, he is at fault. (Even though he has done nothing wrong except he is unable to keep up with my superhuman cleaning.)

Depression only happens about once a year for me...although it last for four or five months. I usually just get very quiet and don't talk much. It's probably a nice break for my husband.

-Laura

larsstarscanary replied to Topaz03's response:
Warning: Trigger for some people...
Hi, Topaz03,

I've been pretty busy myself, unable to keep up with my own webmd clutter group, let alone this house, so don't worry. I did miss seeing you around, though.

Mania is the worst for me because I feel so strained; at my limits; too happy, and as if in pain...Then I crash into depression and suicidal ideations.

To me, mania is a guaranteed slide into suicidal ideations...

Topaz03 replied to larsstarscanary's response:
Hi Lars. Sorry to hear you are struggling with keeping up. Do you think you could be having trouble with mania? I've been wondering lately if all this confusion and my inability to focus is really my needing to be slowed down with the right meds.

Like, my head is too busy all the time and so as a result, I end up procrastinating and shoving things in piles......and then I pile up more work for myself this way.
My room is such a mess right now. I look at it and I really can't believe I'm sleeping in that mess.
It's this big vicious circle. When I get it cleaned up the next time, I need to work on putting things away right away and keeping up.

We have to keep trying:)) Hugs:)))

larsstarscanary replied to Topaz03's response:
(((((Topaz03)))))

minkysmom1 responded:
Hi Lars,

For me they are both the same. I would prefer to just be stable,I need to be in order to train my horses and get things done here on the ranch. When I'm manic the horses know it and they just stomp all over me. When I'm depressed I have no desire to get anything done. My husband has to really get after me to get things accomplished.

So that's just the way it is for me. Great post, Lars.

Peace,

Minky

larsstarscanary replied to minkysmom1's response:
Hi, Minky.

It's amazing how animals detect things in us.

I'm glad you like this post...

Featuring Experts

Joseph F. Goldberg, MD, is a Clinical Professor of Psychiatry, Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai, New York, NY. He also maintains a private prac...More

Helpful Tips

Differentiating bipolar disorder from borderline personality disorderExpert
Borderline personality disorder is a condition in which people can very easily become angry and upset in response to stresses -- especially ... More
Was this Helpful?
109 of 126 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.