Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Visit our Crisis Assistance Link for resources. For immediate help, get to the ER.

*No Dr Outside Contact Please*
Includes Expert Content
Racing thoughts?
midge6869 posted:
The past few days I have had songs going through my head that I just cant get rid of. No matter how hard I try to think about something else, the song would always come back. Especially when I'm trying to fall asleep. I also keep having "conversations" in me head (one sided of course). Are these racing thoughts? I know I'm a little hypomanic right now but unfortunately I'm not hypomanic very often.

minkysmom1 responded:
Hi Midge,

I know alot of us get songs stuck in our head and will even repetively play songs over and over. I really think that's a common thing as is the conversations in you're head. As long as voices aren't telling you to do things.
It's smart of you to recognise that you are a bit hypomanic right now. That could be the cause of these thoughts.
The other thing to look at is if you have started,stopped, or tweaked a med recently. That would cause a change in behaviors as well. If that is the case you may want to give you're Doc a call just to ease your mind.

Let us know how you are doing,ok?

Peace,

Minky

ebayaddict responded:
This happens to me a lot. I can't tell you what it is but I would like to know, too. Maybe Dr G. could help us with this question?

Joseph F Goldberg, MD replied to ebayaddict's response:
People can have the experience of ACTUALLY hearing music -- the same as if the radio was on -- when there is no music there -- that would be a musical auditory hallucination. People can have a very fast succession of thoughts -- one coming after another, too fast to keep up with (imagine flipping through the channels on your television so fast that you can't even hone in on any one signal long enough to know what the content really is -- that would be racing thoughts). Your description sounds more like a rumination, chruning the same thing over and over in your mind, or an intrusive thought, but it doesn't sound like the rate of ideas coming one after another is the issue. I'm not sure that I would attach any special clinical importance to the experience of just having a song go around in your head that you can't get rid of. That in itself is a a pretty normal phenomenon.

- Dr. G.

midge6869 replied to Joseph F Goldberg, MD's response:
Thanks Dr. G.

Featuring Experts

Joseph F. Goldberg, MD, is a Clinical Professor of Psychiatry, Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai, New York, NY. He also maintains a private prac...More

Helpful Tips

NSAIDS and lithiumExpert
Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (eg, Motrin/ibuprofen, Advil, Naprosyn) raise lithium levels by about 20%. We often therefore say ... More
Was this Helpful?
67 of 90 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.