Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Visit our Crisis Assistance Link for resources. For immediate help, get to the ER.

*No Dr Outside Contact Please*
Hypomanic Questions
midge6869 posted:
I've been hypomanic for the past few days. Wish I could be hypomanic more often, at least things get done then and the house gets cleaned. Fortunately I'm type II so I dont go into full blown mania. Unfortunately I usually go straight from hypomania into depression. I told my husband I've been hypomanic and he said he could tell and is worried because he knows what comes next. My first question is if anyone else goes straight from hypomania to depression. I've been trying so hard today to keep the bad (as in self esteem) and depressive thoughts away. My next question is, has anyone had trouble with this, and if so, do you have anything that helps? Thanks everyone.
Melissa

DizzyJgirl responded:
Melissa, like most people I imagine, I can relate to what you said. For me, depression isn't as bad as a mixed episode which is what I worry most about.

Are you on meds or in therapy? Sorry if you have already answered that in the past and I missed it. There might be something you doctor or therapist can suggest.

If this is happening to me, I really do my best to go easy on myself. To not put added stress on myself. If your husband realizes what is going on, maybe he can help you by doing some things for you (laundry, dinner, etc). Also, having something to look forward to. Again, maybe your husband can help by planning something for you to do together or maybe there is something you like doing (movies, visiting friends, etc). Then the key is just doing those. I often find it hard to force myself out but once I go, I am happy I did and I feel better.

Take care!
Live Life Loud

Indiaguerita responded:
One thing that helps me, if I recognize that I'm getting a little manic, is to set a timer for myself. I tell myself: I will only clean for an hour (or two) and then when the buzzer goes off - I'm done.

I have three young children and they need my attention more than they need the dishes/kitchen to be clean.

If I am already manic...there is nothing that will stop that freight train. It's horrible. I clean for days. Or go on road trips with my family that we can't afford.

My husband is working with a therapist to learn how to "handle" me when I am manic.

Good luck,

Laura

minkysmom1 responded:
Hi Midge,

I had always gone from Manic to Depressed, until my last manic episode. I was so worried I was going to be depressed and I shared my manic state with everyone here on the board and to my surprise a few people said that didn't happen to them.Sure enough, I eased out of my Mania and no Depression! That had never happened to me before. I was so glad.

So just concentrate on getting through the Mania and not on the fact that you may be depressed later,because you may not.

Take care Midge,

Minky

midge6869 replied to DizzyJgirl's response:
Thank you for replying. Right now I'm on 250mg of Lamictal and 10mg of Lexapro. I see my pdoc on the 2nd. Not in therapy. I'm feeling much better this morning. I totally understand about making myself do things that I dont feel like doing. I usually am glad later that I did.
Thanks so much!

midge6869 replied to Indiaguerita's response:
Thanks Laura. Fortunately I never go into full blown mania. I do enjoy the hypomania, only time things get really clean around my house. Unfortunately, I will start things and lose steam before I finish them.

midge6869 replied to minkysmom1's response:
Thanks Minky, I will try.

Featuring Experts

Joseph F. Goldberg, MD, is a Clinical Professor of Psychiatry, Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai, New York, NY. He also maintains a private prac...More

Helpful Tips

Differentiating bipolar disorder from borderline personality disorderExpert
Borderline personality disorder is a condition in which people can very easily become angry and upset in response to stresses -- especially ... More
Was this Helpful?
109 of 126 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.