Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Visit our Crisis Assistance Link for resources. For immediate help, get to the ER.

*No Dr Outside Contact Please*
Matt and J
minkysmom1 posted:
Hey you two,

I've been missing you here. I'm so sorry about your kitty. Will your Vet let you make small payments if he goes to surgery?

Please let us know how things are going. I know this is a difficult time,I offer you strength and prayers.

Loves,

Minky

jselleck responded:
Hi Minky, thanks for the prayers. You know those city vets, they want their money up front never mind that this a member of our family who's like a kid to us. He meets us at the door, and everyone in the neighborhood knows Jack. He talks to anyone who'll take the time to say hi. The crazy cat was even trying to hold a conversation with the nurse at the vet's yesterday. At first I wasn't too thrilled with taking in a second cat when a friend asked me to, but Jack grew on me, and he's really become Matt's buddy. They watch tv together all the time. He's getting better, cross fingers, we'll see come monday. Take care.

JSelleck

skypper replied to jselleck's response:
I hope your Jack makes a full recovery, {{{hugs}}}}for all of you
If you are struggling, please talk to someone. There are good and kind people in this world. There is love to know and beauty to find. You matter beyond words. Please don't give up.TWLOHA

mattthecat responded:
Howdy minky thank you for the post. Although I am really tempted to spend the money on jack being we could empty out our savings but we have already spent close to three thousand dollars on him in the past and no matter how hard we try to watch him or kitty proof the home he always seems to find new and interesting stuff to eat one of his favorites is ribbon used to tie down gifts. He even came an inch from deaths door a few years ago when he got into the trash and ate a card board circle used in milk bottles or medicine to this day we still do not know which package it came off of. J does wish the vet would let us pay over time because if he did she is pretty sure she could convince me to save him if he did. He seems to be getting a little better and i try not to think of what might happen if he takes a turn for the worse. I am going to feel really bad if I have to choose our health over his but we are in the deductible phase of our health insurance and insurance will save our butt if one of us needs medical help this year which is a given. There is also the fact he is ten years old and he has had some pretty good years already.
Thank you everyone for keeping Jack in your thoughts and or prayers. I am crossing my fingers on this one.

Matt

minkysmom1 replied to mattthecat's response:
Hi Matt and J,

Wow. Did he eat ribbon this time? So it's abdominal surgery? I was curious how old he is.

You are thinking very responsibly. I know it's hard to think that way,but if in fact it is ab sx,it could alter his livelihood. I respect your decisions. I had some tough,emotional ones late last year regarding our 4 Alpacas. I know that's not the same as you're sweet Jack.

Medication can be amazing on it's own and sometimes a better route.I will be thinking of you all as the day turns to Monday.

Loves,

Minky

mattthecat replied to minkysmom1's response:
minky the vet did an X-ray and can not determine what he ate if any thing but he can see where his intestines are all jammed up. I do not think he ate ribbon we were very careful this year with it although he is very clever and who no what he has gotten in to this time. It looks like hair mostly on the X-ray. If the vet goes in he is going in to explore he is not even sure what he is after.Thanks for the pat on the back but it is not as easy as I make it seem. This is one of the hardest decisions i have had to make in a very long time. Jack is my buddy and a very close friend. We watch TV together a lot and my wife thinks were both crazy when I talk to him and he mews back on Que like we are having a conversation. So he will be missed if he does not pull through and i will probably second guess my self for a while. Although he does seem to be getting a little better thank you minky for your response it means a lot that you are thinking about us.

Matt

midge6869 replied to mattthecat's response:
Hi Matt, we had a chocolate lab named Nala that loved to eat underwear and socks. She was a very strange dog but my husband, kids and I really loved her. Well, one day she ate a pair of my husbands underwear. The vet did everything he could to try to get her to pass it on her own. Unfortunately she ended up having surgery. It was almost $1000. We were very lucky that our vet let us make payments. This happened not too long after my father-in-law passed away so there was no way the kids or me could go through losing the dog so soon after loosing my father-in-law. Well, not even a year later and still making payments on the first surgery and the dog went and did it again. We were very careful but she still found something somewhere to eat. Unfortunately it did not pass on its own and we had to make the heartwrenching decision to put her down. That was one of the hardest things we had to do, but we knew she would do it again. I know I was in bed crying for a couple of days. I hope your kitty gets better. Please keep us posted.

bpcookie replied to mattthecat's response:
Hey Matt and J honey, Im so very sorry about what you and your kitty is going through right now. I went through many vet visits and thousands of dollars to try to keep my dog Cookie well. She had 89 lives. That dog had been through everything, but it was worth every single penny we spent to keep her going. She ended up living to be 20 yrs old. I hope your kitty lives as long as my dog did. hugs
Gardening, yoga, bubble baths, medication.......and I still want to SMACK somebody!!!!!!!

Featuring Experts

Joseph F. Goldberg, MD, is a Clinical Professor of Psychiatry, Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai, New York, NY. He also maintains a private prac...More

Helpful Tips

TO DROP MY WEIGHT, I DROPPED THE DIET SOFT DRINKS.
Been on Zonegran for about five years and a type II diabetic for 35 years using metaformin and insulin. It appears the jury is in for me on ... More
Was this Helpful?
6 of 10 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.