Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Visit our Crisis Assistance Link for resources. For immediate help, get to the ER.

*No Dr Outside Contact Please*
Malevolent Lamictal Shape
RogueFemale posted:
OK, so this isn't a TOTALLY serious question, but I've always wondered why GlaxoSmithKline makes the larger doses of Lamictal in a style strategically calculated to stick in one's throat, a large pentagram-ish shaped thing without any real coating? Just asking. (It qualifies as cruel and unusual torture.)
--Karen.

bpcookie responded:
LMAO good question. Next thing we will get, is meds in the shape of pretty stars.

Speaking of meds. My Depakote pills are HUGE, oblong shaped. Perfect shape, when it goes down the way it is supposed to. But I hate when it gets turned around, gets stuck and slowly grinds its way down your throat, while you drink water like a Camel in hopes to dissolve the thing.
Gardening, yoga, bubble baths, medication.......and I still want to SMACK somebody!!!!!!!

midge6869 responded:
OMG! I wondered the same thing. Those things are the hardest things to swallow. I'm always gagging on them. I've wondered if they people just sit in their offices trying to think of new shapes that people would have a hard time swallowing and laughing. I was taking the 200mg ones. Luckily I now take 250 mgs so I take 2 1/2 of the 100 mgs which are a little easier to swallow but still that stupid shape.

mommaange1 responded:
I thought I was the only one who had a problem. Those pills get stuck and then strart to melt and on top of being stuck in your throat, they leave a nasty taste as they start to melt. They definatelly need a coating or some thing. I wonder if choking to death is one of the side effects..lol

ddnos responded:
Karen, I know some meds you're not supposed to cut in half, but do you know if you can do that to Lamictal so that it won't be so difficult to swollow? THe pharmacist would know, so maybe you could ask them. I mean heck, it just might even work better if it actually gets to your stomach rather than lodged in your throat. lol

Good luck

Debbie
Make sure the facts are straight before you start drawing conclusions - Ahmed Seoudy

bpcookie replied to mommaange1's response:
ROFL *cookie runs over to all her meds and starts reading all the side effect labels* whew, nope, Im safe.
Gardening, yoga, bubble baths, medication.......and I still want to SMACK somebody!!!!!!!

Anneinside replied to ddnos's response:
If a pill is scored for cutting, and brand name Lamictal is, then you can cut it without any problems.

ebayaddict responded:
Is there a generic form of Lamictal? I'm on it 100mg and it's circular shape. I used to take one that was diamond shaped, though.

midge6869 replied to ebayaddict's response:
Yes, the generic form of Lamictal is Lamotrigine. Lamotrigine is the one that is diamond shaped. I've never taken the brand name before, but circular sounds a lot better than diamond shaped.

RogueFemale replied to midge6869's response:
Ahh, I find circular ones evil as well, sadly. Still huge and unswallow-able, even if cut in half. Sometimes I can get them down if I quarter them. Oh, the heartache! The travails!
--Karen.

midge6869 replied to RogueFemale's response:
I totally understand! I take 1/2 tablets (circular) of Lexapro and Glipizide daily and almost always gag on them.

Featuring Experts

Joseph F. Goldberg, MD, is a Clinical Professor of Psychiatry, Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai, New York, NY. He also maintains a private prac...More

Helpful Tips

NSAIDS and lithiumExpert
Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (eg, Motrin/ibuprofen, Advil, Naprosyn) raise lithium levels by about 20%. We often therefore say ... More
Was this Helpful?
69 of 92 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.