Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Visit our Crisis Assistance Link for resources. For immediate help, get to the ER.

*No Dr Outside Contact Please*
Is it bipolar or psychopathic/sociopathic behavior?
maryalice40 posted:
[TRIGGER] I have a problem with my nephew and I am not sure what to do. Growing up, he was pretty much pinned in his baby bed until he could get out of it on his own, because my sister didn't want to deal with taking care of him. He was neglected growing up meaning she really didn't want to take care of him or any of her kids, he did not get the love he should have from his mother, his father wasn't around, she would not allow it. And later on when she got married, his step dad was on dobe, very controlling, very strict, and mouthy. Likes to leave bruises all over the kids from a belt. My nephew & his brother missed excessive amounts of school to stay home and watch their 3 youngest kids. He was thrown out for threatening the step dad and sent to my brothers. He accused my nephew of rubbing his leg and thinking he wanted to put his hands on him as a way to come home. At the same time he's talking suicidal because he says his mommy doesn't want him, and no one loved him. He ended up staying beside of his mom with grandma. He dropped out of highschool and did not finish. He was bashful in school. Had trouble making friends. He has a baby now from a 16 year old girl. Wouldn't affect him one bit to just walk away from them. He's sworn to the fact that he will never work and support them. It's welfare all the way. He sponges off of everyone else expecting that they support him. His mind is slow, he took slow classes in school for a long time and was able to go to regular classes, I still see is as not normal like everyone else. He used drugs for a short while, drinks, steels. Since he was a tiny thing, maybe 3 or 4, he has pulled things on us, scissors, poles, sticks, knifes, when he'd get mad and threaten to kill us. He's chased my son with a sword trying to kill him. He took a chair to his sisters head, knocked a big hole in it, and put her in the ER. Everytime he's mad, he has thoughts to kill you. He cannot admit any wrong doing, if you try, he goes into a rage. He cussed his grandma out and threatened to kill her repeadedly to get his way. He was put in a hospital for a few weeks at age 16, for threatening her with a knife. He would not stay on his bipolar medications. His dad had some form of rage disorder. He was doing crack I believe when my sister got pregnant with this kid, he is also slow like his kids are. This boy can have a very sweet personallity, but it's a cover up for his real one. He's deceiving, he lies and can be very convincing at it. His mom had him and his girlfriend and baby to come live with them not too long ago, and said they was going to move and give them their home when they did. Well the end result was step dad threw them out because they wouldn't take any responsibility or clean up after themselves. So they went back over on my mom. They had been staying in their own place beside of her mom. Well he went to cussing my mom again and threatening to hurt her again. And I warned him if it happened again, I would put a mental hygeine on him. His rage sent him to the gun store the same day to buy a rifle, and he told his brother he was going to bring it to my home to shoot me with it. Now I know this kid has had issues since he was a toddler. Going so far to buy a gun, I just cannot get that out of my mind. Could he have been misdiagnosed? Is it possible he has some type of psycopathic/sociopathic behavior? The thing is he can be nice, but if he's mad at you, watch out. He kind of reminds me of someone with a narcissistic personallity disorder. He bought the gun under false pretense, lied about being in a mental institution. I could have him locked up (don't want to do that) or file a mental hygeine, but going to an institution didn't help him before. They found him very polite and quiet, and well behaved. It did not change anything.

maryalice40 responded:
[TRIGGER] I'm sorry, he did not say he was going to shoot me with it, he said he was going to shoot it to scare me with it. Still I think this kid might be stepping into a mind of a killer. I am very concerned. I have some family members also concerned, but the rest act like it's a big joke.

bentandbroken responded:
Wow Mary ,Id take the threats seriously if I were you.also,he can have multiple disorders along with bipolar.the kid needs help, i think he needs a long term care facilaty to get stablized. good luck and stay safe until you can get some help.
royce
Caution: I make bad decisions..........

Dyanne48jj replied to bentandbroken's response:
Absolutely as bent said.
Regardless of what this child was dx-ed with previously he has had one helluva tramatic life. No telling what he may 'have' and need at this point. He needs long term admittance with serious help.
There is no way of knowing what part of all of this is mental versus learned behaviour versus PTSD versus acting out.

Kudos to you and your mom for trying so hard and being there for him. Now though as much as it may hurt for the moment his loved ones have to do whatever is possible to get him serious serious professional help before he hurts himself or others!
Oceans and Stars- Dyanne

maryalice40 replied to Dyanne48jj's response:
I wouldn't say his life has been extreme with traumatizing, but not having your parent love you the way one should would be hard on any child. But he's always been mommy's favorite even with all that went on. She thinks she's done nothing wrong as far as being a parent goes. You think he had a bad time, you should here the stuff about his sister. The oldest came out sane anyways. They still have 3 young one's living with them. CPS won't do anything, the school has made repeated calls and it never does any good. I looked up symptoms of a sociopathic child. Alot of things remind me of him, even where he pees the bed was listed as a symptom, this started in Jr High I think, it wasn't something he's had trouble with his whole life. My family is acting like this is a joke. The kid obsesses about killing someone when he's angry with them, he buys a gun while angry at me, how is that not something to worry about? How do you get someone in a long term health facility? I'm giving my nephew the option to give this gun up, either have his mommy return it to the gun store, or give it back to them, and show me proof it happened, or I told him (emailed him) and said I would have to step in and do something. I tried to be as nice as possible and explain why without telling him I know he bought it because of me, but I am sure he will outrage with anger when he reads it. As usual. He's never hurt animals, like these people with this behavior do. He has trouble getting along with anyone. The reason he moved from his girlfriend's moms too was because he was asked to help dig out a sewer and to him asking him to do something is sinful. A crime. I kid not. But he's very aggressive and his outburts are either a threat of voilence or either/or are violent. I am worried, I step back and do nothing, like my family would prefer, someone is going to end up dead. I am afraid he's going to go from this bipolar mind to a killer.

maryalice40 replied to maryalice40's response:
Well he's outraged. He called my mom at work talking to her like a dog and said she'd never see his baby again. I guess he said the same to his sister, because she said he's going to leave this area, because he's scared of what I am going to do and that she'll never see her again either. And she's so mad at me, she won't talk to me. But he wasn't scared enough to call my mom tonight and tell her that he was coming out my house tonight. I've told him under no circumstances that he is allowed out here. I've had to sit watching all night. I am not going to squirl up like a little chicken and not do nothing here. However I know when he gets out, he is going to want to come after me, if he doesn't do it tonight. None of this is very pleasant in my mind. I am so stressed

And he can't leave, he won't work, he doesn't work, he has no money, unless he takes his baby and his girlfriend to an abandoned barn somewhere. I would hope to god anyone would have more sense than that.

I'm going tomorrow to get a protective order (if possible) and filing the mental hygeine warrant

Featuring Experts

Joseph F. Goldberg, MD, is a Clinical Professor of Psychiatry, Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai, New York, NY. He also maintains a private prac...More

Helpful Tips

NSAIDS and lithiumExpert
Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (eg, Motrin/ibuprofen, Advil, Naprosyn) raise lithium levels by about 20%. We often therefore say ... More
Was this Helpful?
67 of 90 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.